Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with the chat room stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

Hi EM,
This is a problem I have more often than not and I do feel it is related to that led icon in the top right corner of the page. With me being on satellite the lag can get to more than 1000ms and it does seem I have to keep refreshing the room just to keep the chat flowing. After a refresh the led will flash from orange to green but after 2 or so minutes the '!' seems to stay on then the problem start to appear.

If I am right would it be possible to extend the ping times to say 2000ms if it doesn't compromise the software. With nearly all the members on ADSL or better us poor folk on sat or other outdated net connections always seem to have problems as the net goes more and more bandwidth hungry scripts.

Regards Bryan

I get that problem a lot too, but it usually has to do with my internet connection. If my internet slows down or cuts out, the icon turns red with an exclamation point, and sometimes logs me out, saying invalid IP address. I still don't know if it's something that can be adjusted on your end, EM, or if it's just my connection.

Der Strom

Ok today I have been in chat for a few hours, when I try and post an image my username will come up but no image will appear. I have tried on numerous times without any success. Also in order to keep the chat flowing I have to refresh constantly every few minutes. I do have a 4 Mb sat connection but as I said before the lag is an issue. I do have a huge download going and it is running along @ 115KB/s, I do know that won't slow down any webpage as I just downloaded some datasheets. I did just notice DerStrom just timed out too.

Sorry if I do seem pushy on this but the chatroom was one of the main reasons I came back. With so many great online friends I found over the years on this forum it was too hard not to come back.

It would great if you could fix this problem EM.

Regards Bryan

I did just notice DerStrom just timed out too.

Sorry, that was my fault. I just forgot to log out before closing the window.

OK today in chat I am seeing the same picture, it does seem to me the lag I have on my net connection is causing all these problems, EM I'm sure you have visited this forum since I posted this message so please get off your ass and do something about it. It is a real piss off to keep losing chat and having to refresh or I generally roll the dice then see a whole new window of comments. For a chatroom to work surely ping times shouldn't be an issue.

I did mention about the blog being broken too but it wasn't until I showed Eric the failure, he posted the problem and it was fixed, well pretty well straight away, so why is this problem being ignored ????

Bryan

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Chat rooms are actually very resource intensive however there should be no reason for there to be a problem because the server is very adequate. There maybe some issues when staying in the chat for several hours as the page gets larger and larger. Combine that with a sat connection maybe the only issue at hand.

I would check the packet errors on your connection and see if there is a problem there, you can also use the developer tools within your browser to see if there are any errors showing up causing the chat to not update.

I'll try to figure out if there is any issue on our end when I'm back, I'm in Rarotonga for a wedding at the moment..

Regards,
EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back