Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathishgopal

Hi all!!!!!!
I am doing my project with PIC 16f876 controller.
I need to measure the power factor of input supply. (i.e cosine of angle between voltage and current.)
can any one suggest a way to do this. I am using MPLAB with assembley code.....
Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can measure the voltage directly and use a sense circuit to measure the current. You can just take some samples (you can even undersample), and determine the relationship of the signals using code to do a phase detector.

If you use copmarators to turn your sin waves into square waves then you can use an xor gate as a phase detector. It will output a pulse that is the lenght of the phase difference. Then you can use a PIC timer to time the pulselength.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back