Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs do explode!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyman87

samcheetah said:
which chip blew off???

if its the PIC then u should post a picture of it. i have never heard or seen a chunk from a chip being blown out. i would love to see some snaps of it.

I took up the challenge of blowing a PIC apart. I applied about 20v and all the current pins 5 & 6 could take from a capacitor bank with an approx. capacity of .03F. You can see a pock mark in pin 6 Needless to say pieces went everywhere. Below are some pics

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
!!No functional MCUs were injured!!

Must be something about today being the 13th. I smoked a 16F877 a little while ago. Still not sure what happened but one pin was bright red and the lab here at work had that "you screwed up" smell for about an hour.

lavenatti said:
.... that "you screwed up" smell for about an hour.

:lol: thats great.
well looks like I'm gonna have to give this a try. forget about the piddly 20V, I'm gonna put it on a varac and pump 120 through it... :twisted:

HaHa :twisted: I was gonna hook it up to 20Kv MOT that I rewound but I burnt out the secondary. That would have made an interesting smelling smoke. Take some pics of the remains if theres anything left.

Did I say 20 Kv. A small error. I could start an approx. 3/4 inch spark when it was in good condition. Thats more like 10Kv

I got good results when accidentally tying Vdd to the 15v power supply before the regulator. It jetted out a stream of blackness and one of the pins fell off the pkg entirely.

I wonder if I could somehow rig an IC to my mig welder...I could always see if the old stick welder works still... :twisted:

hey monkeyman, where is millerstown at?

Might as well throw in a few capacitors to overload too. I mean seriously, without the wonderful smell, you're just not getting the full effect of destroying parts. :eek:

bonxer said:
Might as well throw in a few capacitors to overload too. I mean seriously, without the wonderful smell, you're just not getting the full effect of destroying parts. :eek:

I've done that, they make a really good "pop" :)

Capacitors in reversed connection / Zenners

In the lab, I saw one of 470 uF wrongly connected in a demonstartion board, well above the bench level, exploding and sending small pieces of plastic film all over. Impressive, not only the noise but the celebration from everybody there...

Gossip said that the student in charge of mounting the components in the board KNEW very well what he was doing.

There was an adjustable zenner diode identified like TL431 (I am in doubt about the "TL" part...) which litterally melted the plastic until it stopping to work destroying some parts in the process. This was in silence with no smoke and almost no smell. Not a glorious nor joyous way of dying. Can we class it as another anonimous victim? Or humble hero...

Same again

Back in my apprenticeship I remember a student holding an electroytic, maybe around 470uF size, in the flame :?: of a blowtorch :!: (wasn't me, honest!)

It survived for some few seconds before exploding and showering us all in white confetti.

We never found the capacitor's end cap (note to self --- wear safety goggles next time!)

Next best story ... the transistor that got really hot ... it survived and still carries my fingerprint thermally bonded to the case :shock:
another anonimous victim? Or ...
... ... ... stupid prat ?

Re: Capacitors in reversed connection / Zenners

atferrari said:
In the lab, I saw one of 470 uF wrongly connected in a demonstartion board, well above the bench level, exploding and sending small pieces of plastic film all over. Impressive, not only the noise but the celebration from everybody there...

I just read this post before my EE lab, which I needed to use a 330uf capacitor for, I was alittle hesitant to connect the cap to the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back