Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Tutorials - Going Equipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted before, thanking Nigel for the suggestion of using turned pins. Definitely, one of the most useful tips ever for me. I recall him saying he got it from somebody else. Not even dreamed to solder anything to them myself.

BTW, in maybe 15 years I am still using the same old protoboard (that is even the brand, I think) and I can recall just one micro (16F84A?) with a pin bent and subsequently broken many months later. The rest (many), they were honourably discarded after being carefuly burnt somehow. And in case you ask, no, never seen that famous magick smoke. Brave PICs!

Last edited:
I have soldered opposite corners of chip to socket to prevent chip coming out of socket, for the same reason .. .. if the chip fails .. then both chip and socket are consigned to the bin .. .. .. I think that is also being careful .. ... I suspect you are probably going to say OVER careful, but when you're as hamfisted as I am there is no such thing !

I would imagine the most 'dangerous' process here is soldering the top of the socket and PIC pins :D (as you're soldering FAR closer to the chip than is normal) - in my experience there's no chance of the chip coming out of the socket, you need a small screwdriver to lever then out :D

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters - but it's not really something that's required.

A variation on the "PIC in a socket" idea, which I came up with some years ago:

PIC Carrier 001.JPG PIC Carrier 002.JPG

A turned pin socket for insertion into the usual breadboard, mounted on the socket were some turned pin SIL header strips, and built in to the whole assembly were the load capacitors for the crystal and the supply decoupling capacitor for the PIC.
Wire ended crystals (HC25) could be plugged into the end of the SIL strips, and HC18 type crystals could be plugged into the crystal socket.

This was all in the days of PIC 16F84.
These days I use 16F628 and 16F887 with a built in oscillator.
(Yes I know that there are newer types of PIC, but these are familiar friendly devices and I am comfortable with them for what I do.)

JimB

I would imagine the most 'dangerous' process here is soldering the top of the socket and PIC pins :D (as you're soldering FAR closer to the chip than is normal) - in my experience there's no chance of the chip coming out of the socket, you need a small screwdriver to lever then out :D

Ah well, I hadn't thought of that one ! I just like things to stay where I put them !! I'm a bit of a b****r for that ! Maybe I should leave the solder out of the process, then everybody will be happy :D

I like JimB's idea of a PIC in a socket .. .. looks really good .. .. . along the same lines, if I stop soldering chips and sockets, maybe mine could be call a PIC in a Poke ?

D'you think ?? :D

S

not 'that' distant as he specified the later 16F84 and not the earlier 16C84 :p
Probably did start with the "C" version, I transitioned to the "F" when they became available.

JimB

Hi,

The machined pin sockets are great. I use them for the more important stuff.
I have never seen an IC chip fall out of a socket, no matter what kind of socket it was.
What i have seen though in some medical equipment was a pin somehow 'loosening' up, so that the IC pin does not contact the socket pin well enough for the required contact resistance. These were not machined pin sockets though, just the 'wipe' type sockets, and i cant remember if they were dual wipe or not unfortunately as this was back in the 1970's when 'regular family' TTL was still used all over the place.

Good ol' Chip Creep as they used to say. Caused by heating and cooling as in turn on and get hot then cool when off.

Last edited:
Good ol' Chip Creep as they used to say. Caused by heating and cooling as in turn on and get hot then cool when off.

Hi,

Yes the thermal cycling probably eventually caused a break in the connection. These days i either use dual wipe or the machined pin type.
What happens i think is the IC pin stays relatively still while the socket contacts move out and then back, until one day they dont move back enough. Those units had quite a bit of heat inside too because for one thing they were made out of the original TTL series like the 7400 series not the more modern 74LS00 or similar.

Another point of failure which I've seen many many times is oxidation of the IC pins and/or the socket wipers. Often simply pulling the IC and re-seating it in the socket will restore device operation...

Heck I've broke a pin or two off trying to get a IC out of a socket. I always seemed the ic puller was never around and they was 64 pin chips.

Hi GD

It's OK, I have two of those .. ..

.. .. .. . when they made me, they were out of stock of fingers, they used Sainsburys pork sausages ! Therefore, essential equipment !

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back