Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer with ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bryan1 said:
So if I was to transfer the target PGC, PGD, Gnd and MLCR lines straight to the ziff socket would this be a problem? Sorry if this is silly question but I want to be sure.

Cheers Bryan :D

No problem if you know exactly which pin(s) they should go to. But do you? Don't forget the PGM line too.

eblc1388 said:
bryan1 said:
So if I was to transfer the target PGC, PGD, Gnd and MLCR lines straight to the ziff socket would this be a problem? Sorry if this is silly question but I want to be sure.

No problem if you know exactly which pin(s) they should go to. But do you? Don't forget the PGM line too.

Hiya Eblc1388,
I wonder why the PGM line isn't on the ICD clone, also if you don't mind could you tell me where each line should go as I'm not too sure.

bryan1 said:
Hiya Guy's,
I'm currently designing the ICD clone on veroboard and I was wondering aswell as putting in the ISCP header also putting in a 40 pin ziff socket configured to program from 8 to 40 pin pics. So if I was to transfer the target PGC, PGD, Gnd and MLCR lines straight to the ziff socket would this be a problem? Sorry if this is silly question but I want to be sure.

Consult the P16PRO40 circuit to see how it's done there!, the problem is how to NOT apply power to the wrong pins on larger chips - the P16PRO40 does this by using two seperate Vpp lines!. I don't think you can do it with a single Vpp line?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't think you can do it with a single Vpp line?.

Hi bryan1,

Nigel's message is what I'm trying to tell you. You can't have a fixed connection.

The PGM line is just 0V. i.e. you connect 0V to the PGM pin of the target PIC.

I solved the problem using switches.(see image)

Attachments

• icd2_clone_115.jpg
    icd2_clone_115.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 500
If you like Abacom's (http://www.abacom-online.de/) LochMaster, you might want to give Muvium's (**broken link removed**) Virtual Breadboard a try. A new version is currently in development, but you can still download the legacy versions from their website. (It's under the "quick links" section on the main page.) It even supports live digital simulations, including simulating the Microchip PIC and BASIC-Stamp microcontrollers.

Personally, I use both programs...

Hiya Guy's,
O'well after spending nearly a week trying to make my own programmer I've decided that no matter how much I read up on the subject, my location and lack of avalaible parts means it's not worth a 40 k drive just to buy some resistors. I don't want to sound like a loser to you guy's but with my limited experience I've decided to go ahead and buy the Olimenix ICD2 USB clone from sparkfun. One of the main reasons I need usb is my laptop uses a usb-rs232 converter and reading up on these converters there useless when it comes to rs232 programming. Now I can devote my electronic time to developing my projects rather than spending all my time just trying to make a programmer. At 41 years old I'm not too old to learn but I'm from a mechanical background all the I know electronics are self taught.
Thank You guy's for all the help I really apprecieate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back