Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Partial Fraction Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonbramble

I am trying to refresh my memory on partial fractions. In the attached I have shown an example given in the book. Trouble is, I cannot get their answers to agree with mine. They think A = -1, B = 2, C = 0, D = -0.5, E = 0.5. Does anyone agree with the book and if so, how did you get your answer? I think the book is wrong, but then I have thought that before and always been wrong...

Attachments

• Partial Fractions.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 276
Hi,

What answer did you get?

Here's my answer...
A=-1
B=3/2
C=1
D=-1/2
E=1/2

Using the book values, we cant seem to get the original expression when we expand it, using the above values we can, so the book must be wrong.

Sometimes books are wrong, sometimes it just looks like they are wrong at first. The only way to know for sure is to come up with a test that proves it. By expanding the two results we can find out which one comes out to the original expression. If you didnt get the results above, substitute your values into the new expression and expand it. If you dont get the original expression some way or another, it's probably not correct. If you do, then it's probably correct.

Last edited:
Hi again simon,

Oh you're welcome. I took a look at that paper and saw that he got everything correct except for "Solving the 5x5 system", where somehow he comes up with the wrong answers for B and C. Funny, it's actually simple to use substitution to get the answers.

Also a little funny is that section is titled, "A Failsafe Method" <little chuckle> so i hate to see the non-failsafe method :)
Im just kidding around here though, everyone makes mistakes now and then, and i do like his approach there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back