Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OT: Miniature Fluid Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

Sorry, if these mechanical questions are a little off the subject, but I'm in search of a miniture water pump and so far I've done nothing but tread water.

Basically, this is for a circuit etching tank. I need at least three fluid pumps to fill/drain the etching tank with water, developer, and etchant. The problem is that since the etchant is involved, it can't contain any metal or soluable adhesives.

The device I had in mind was something like this centrifugal design, but maybe smaller. I tried a **broken link removed** using solenoids, but I couldn't get the power I wanted out of it. You might say the efficiency 'sucked.' :lol: Anyway, any device that can drain 1 quart in less than a minute would be useful. I'm not picky about power requirements.

And I've already tried some aquarium stores but they only sell those open 'waterfall' type pumps. I need a sealed design because of the Cl gas. Any suggestions?

Certain medical pumps use a rubber tube and a wheel with little rollers along its edge to pump fluid with no contact between the fluid and the pump mecanics. The rubber tube is in a U shaped cutout that the wheel spins in. The rollers along the edge of the wheel roll along the tube compressing against the U and forcing the fluid through the tube.

Peristaltic Pumps

The pump that bmcculla is describing is a rotary Peristaltic pump.
I have seen pumps built this way for metering tiny flow rates (ul/min) upto big gallons/min jobbies driven by 3 phase motors.

You need to find a tube capable of surviving the repeated crushing it gets from the rollers - we use Tygon(tm) which gives several months of continuous use before it splits and messes the cabinet up- in industrial chemical analysers.
You also need to fabricate a rotor with spring-loaded rollers or you could build a linear Peristaltic pump - a straight tube and a series of five or so 'fingers' that sequentially push against the tube, maybe cam-driven.

Try This Company, They have a Wide Variety of Pumps and they are pretty good Quality. Some are Magnetic Driven for Corrosive Chemicals.

https://www.littlegiant.com/

I was Quite Pleased with the one I bought.
Hope it Helps........Gary

Try the windscreen washer pump from a car.

JimB

Thanks. There are few medical supply stores in the area so hopefully I can I find a useful retailer. Does little giant have miniturized versions of their magnetic pumps? The ones I saw are very large and run off mains. Also, I was thinking of using a wiper fluid pump but I wasn't certain of whether those were able to handle ferric chloride. Are those designs also non-corrosive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back