Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ok... keep it clean and pleasant in this thread!! (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first car was a '67 Renault 10. Its 1100cc engine was water-cooled in the back. It had 48hp and went 90mph downhill as fast as it can. It cost only $2000 brand new. Manual tranny.

Attachments

• Renault 10.JPG
    Renault 10.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 239
My first vehical was a 1980 Ford F-350. It was hard as heck on gas and not exactly a chick magnet, but I still miss it a little:(

Attachments

• red truck.jpg
    red truck.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 232
audioguru said:
My first car was a '67 Renault 10. Its 1100cc engine was water-cooled in the back. It had 48hp and went 90mph downhill as fast as it can. It cost only $2000 brand new. Manual tranny.

Is that picture of the actual car with you in it?;)

I got that pic off the internet. My Renault 10 was white.
It was a chick magnet for girls without a car.

1971 Chevy Nova, 350 small block (blue with a white vinyl top) for me. And yes I miss that car, Andy, it was a magnet. hehehe. I miss those days.

But today, I would like to have Andy's truck. I have the chick :D and kids.

Loaned my Nova to my little brother and never saw it again.

Audioguru must have known gas was going to go up back then, he should have kept the car. And his steering wheel is on the correct side too.

mramos1 said:
Audioguru must have known gas was going to go up back then, he should have kept the car.
I am a Scrooge. I have always had fuel-efficient cars, all 4 cylinders.
And his steering wheel is on the correct side too.
The Renault cars are French, not English but there were many English taxi-cabs with the steering wheel on the other side.

Torben said:
People here (southern Vancouver Island) buy big SUVs so they have 4WD which they think makes it safe to drive in poor weather. Then they wonder why they wrap it around a telephone pole when it snows, even though they have the 4WD on.

About 12 years ago my best friend and I decided that -10 C is the perfect temperature. Now I live in a rainforest where it rarely snows. I miss the snow. It's beautiful and makes the world nice and quiet (it absorbs sound). Plus it's a lot more fun to drive in.
I think the safest (and to my mind, the most fun) is a small front-wheel drive car with a great set of winter tires on the front. With small rims and just the front tires, you can still get the best without coming close to breaking the bank. The back tires can be bald as Kojack - makes no difference in snow on a front-WD. That, fresh snow, and a handbrake? Good times. Good, good times.

I love the acoustics of snow. If it's about -5 Celsius, about 6" of snow, I love the sound of shovelling. When you throw a shovel load of snow, it makes that awesome muffled "fwooomf" sound! Nothing quite like it. I love the sound of a car engine running in a driveway, lots of fresh snow, heard while sitting in a (preferably well-heated) basement. If the house has siding instead of brick, central heating (gas), and drywall, I could listen to the snow-car-basement sound forever! How's that for particular tastes?!

Hank Fletcher said:
I think the safest (and to my mind, the most fun) is a small front-wheel drive car with a great set of winter tires on the front. With small rims and just the front tires, you can still get the best without coming close to breaking the bank. The back tires can be bald as Kojack - makes no difference in snow on a front-WD. That, fresh snow, and a handbrake? Good times. Good, good times.

Many people in Burns Lake (where I'm from originally) don't bother with 4WD at all, and those that do often use it only for offroading or work on back roads. Burns Lake gets snow for many months of the year. Same in Finland.

I love the acoustics of snow. If it's about -5 Celsius, about 6" of snow, I love the sound of shovelling. When you throw a shovel load of snow, it makes that awesome muffled "fwooomf" sound! Nothing quite like it. I love the sound of a car engine running in a driveway, lots of fresh snow, heard while sitting in a (preferably well-heated) basement. If the house has siding instead of brick, central heating (gas), and drywall, I could listen to the snow-car-basement sound forever! How's that for particular tastes?!

That's pretty specific. :) And it's a pair of great sounds, I agree. Although a really cool one that a friend caught with a good stereo mic and field recorder a couple years back is lake thunder. Because it was in the mid to low -20s C with lots of wind and dry snow, the lake he lived on was frozen and bare. We had a great time skating all over it. Ever so often it would give off this crazy thunderlike sound. It was a more interesting sound than thunder though, especially with no snow on the ice to deaden it. There are a lot of highs and mids and weird whistles in the rumble. It's also loud. I can't find a clip right now.

Torben

Torben said:
the lake he lived on was frozen and bare. We had a great time skating all over it. Ever so often it would give off this crazy thunderlike sound.
The ice breaking? While you were on it? Did the ice vibrate?
Each year here some ice fishermen get stranded on a piece of floating ice and need rescuing.

audioguru said:
The ice breaking? While you were on it? Did the ice vibrate?
Each year here some ice fishermen get stranded on a piece of floating ice and need rescuing.

I'm not sure what causes the sound. It was cold enough and the ice thick enough that there was no chance of it breaking up around us, though. Even so there are always long cracks winding along through lake ice, so maybe it's those forming which make the sounds.

People who have never heard it often freak out; it's a very eerie sound. And if you're standing on the lake at the time it can make you jump out of your skin.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back