Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to microcontrolers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Hi everyone,

I have started Microcontrollers and i think C++ at college im using MpLAB and ISIS to program and simulate,

we dont really get too much time at college to really egt into this subject so i was wondering if there are any books or youtube playlists or something similar to learn from, they will need to be the most basic you can find as in 'how to set up a program' 'what chip to use' but it would be nice if there was a follow on to intermediate things too

I enjoy this subject but because of the time of day and short lesson i cant get my head around it.

If someone would want to show me the ropes using skype or something that would also be welcomed but im happy to teach myself from books and the internet,

ive been using PIC 16F at college so this is preferred

Regards

HI Clyde,

im at work at the moment but this seems to be hat im after, ill have a look when im home :D

Cheers

If you're already a programmer then you're already a step ahead of the game. The main difference between microcontrollers and coding PC programs is that you have to know more about the hardware on a lower level than you do on a PC.

You'll run into threads like "PIC vs AVR vs 8051 vs etc". The thing to note here is that most microcontrollers are capable of performing the needed task. Its all about which architecture is the most comfortable to work with. As for me, I started with PICs then moved onto MCS-51. Now I can code for both in ASM as well as some embedded C.

There are lots of tutorials all over the web. PICs are great to start with as there is lots of support for them, their IDE is free and a PICkit3 programmer can be had for around $50. Plus Microchip hardly ever obsoletes their chips and they have lots of different variants available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back