Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help starting out my first mayjor radio project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

hi, im starting out my first mayjor radio project. what i want to build is a long range high frequency transmitter and receiver, or at least a transmitter anyway. what i want it to do is be able to transmit a frequency across its signal, essentially like music and such, for testing.

eventually i want to use it for pwm control for a remote stepper motor on a rc project.

ive been looking into 433mhz modules, and even bought a few, but they dont seem to work the way i want, for instance, i have one which has a range of about 20cm, within 5cm of the antenna, i get a full on signal, beyond that it turns on and off at changing frequencies, mostly around 6hz. i think it doesnt work the way i want, instead i think it uses data bursts rather than plain frequency signals.

in any case, i cant find any good projects which work long range but also have multiple channels.
thats the second part. i want to have a good amount of channels between the receiver and transmitter, simply for other things, one of them idealy ide like to be a video feed.

which brings me to another thing, i need multiple channels to be useable simultaneously, preferably 4, but if thats too complex, 2 is fine.

could anyone suggest me a good schematic for what im looking for? or a reasonably cheap receiver and transmitter pair?

thanks!

transmission of music is illegal with out licencing for use on the correct frequencies.

BUT 433MHz for short range data transmissions up to ~ 200metres with low power modules that are redily available
do some google searching on 433MHz tranceiver modules.

for RC ( Radio Control) a common band used these day is 2.4GHz
again do some google searching on 2.4 GHz radio control transmitter and receiver modules

cheers
Dave

transmission of music is illegal with out licencing for use on the correct frequencies.

BUT 433MHz for short range data transmissions up to ~ 200metres with low power modules that are redily available
do some google searching on 433MHz tranceiver modules.

for RC ( Radio Control) a common band used these day is 2.4GHz
again do some google searching on 2.4 GHz radio control transmitter and receiver modules

cheers
Dave

Ive been mostly looking at everything form the wrong perspective. Do you think i might be better off simply using long range tranceiver units to just transmit data between two computers, like two arduino type systems, then using the data to operate to the computer system at the receiving end? would there be significant delays? i was hoping to be doing operations with my rc car at next to realtime speed, like with typical conventional rc stuff.

Ive been mainly avoiding this for cost reasons, but it seems everything is just doing data sends, and really, it does seem quite simple the way these modules operate, one sends data, the other receives.
it would be even better if it were possible to control multiple things simultaneously, wheras that is not exactly possible with the encoded and decoded toggle 433mhz modules, as it only handles one channel at a time. PWM would also be made easier i would imagine.

What im looking at is two different things. first is a UHF long range transmitter receiver pair, from RC cars and such, which i can build my own signal generator for to operate them, rather than from the remote controller, this controlls the rc car, makes it move.
second is on another frequency perhaps, it would have either heaps of channels, or it would use two micro controller systems to transmit data in order operate a number of things, such as turning on an AV video transmitter, switching the cameras from day to night vision, and operating other stuff on the car.

but my first prority is to get wireless speed controller systems working, can this be done the way im talking about, with signal generators controlling the transmitters, which in turn control the receivers? essentially in this ide like what goes in the transmitter to come out the receiver, fairly simple.

ide be looking for something like this: **broken link removed**
however, i also need to be able to find out how to operate it as well.
this one doesnt even show how it gets its data input for the transmitter, which is one of the main issues

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back