Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need 0.48 ohm resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhollenbeck

I need a 0.48 ohm resistor for a Micronta multi-meter. Mouser has 0.47 and 0.5 ohm but no 0.48. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,

Ron

ronhollenbeck said:
I need a 0.48 ohm resistor for a Micronta multi-meter. Mouser has 0.47 and 0.5 ohm but no 0.48. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,

Ron

hi Ron,
Do they have any 0.01R's, these are a standard value.

If you have the space use a 0.47R and 0.01R in series, it sounds like a current shunt so consider the wattage.

You could use a 0.51R and a 8.2R in parallel.

I found those values using this resistor calculator:
**broken link removed**

First off, why do you want a 0.48 ohm?, it's a really strange value - next, how accurate does it have to be? - both 0.47 and 0.5 are within 5%, which is probably as good a tolerance as you're going to get.

He wants the 0.48Ω resistor for the same reason I do. I accidentally overloaded the 500 mA ammeter portion of my Micronta VOM this evening. This shunt resistor turned to crispy charcoal bits in about 3 seconds.

The closest I could find was here:

www . surplussales . com / Resistors / WireWound / WW0015-1 . html

They have a 0.47Ω 1% 0.5W

and a 0.487Ω 1% 20W (pretty darn close -- but with that power rating will be physically too big).

Our power is only .12 W so 0.5 W should be enough.

Jim C.

PS - board posting restrictions prevent me from posting proper URL. You guys will have to cut/paste and knock out all the spaces.

Last edited:

Thanks,

Ron

Any of these suitable.?

**broken link removed**

Are you sure.?:)

**broken link removed**

I meant 0.48Ω, it was a typo as you probably know. I've edited my post.

I was wrong about the tolerance though, it looks like you can get low value resistors this good, still no 0.48Ω though.

Last edited:
#30 AWG is 10'/Ω but it has a high tempco for this app.. It also doubles as a fuse.

I'd suggest you to put in a 0.51 ohm (or two one ohm resistors in parallel) resistor in your VOM and then connect your VOM in series with a known good ammeter to check it's calibration. With a 0.51 ohmmer, you WILL get a too sensitive ammeter with your VOM. You'll have to add another resistor in parallel (PICasm suggests 8.2 ohms, try 8.2, 9.1 and 7.5 ohms) to fine-tune your VOM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back