Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My wind mill poject

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdm_in

Hi , i do have a solar poject also but i want to tie in some wind power also
i have a pma off a car but my question is a AC motor better to use and if so
how do i wire it to my systerm ? The pma is not hooked to the systerm yet ,it is connect to a disconnect and then a small battery for now because i was told it needed to be under load I am just starting to get ready to start connecting everything up

thank
David

David you need a charge controller designed for wind turbines ... i would recommend that you start small ...very very small and learn how the systems work ... stay far far away from your homes AC hydro and build some small lighting systems which use 12 volt DC ... if you make a mistake your only going to see a few sparks or at worst fry some inexpensive equipment ... MAINS POWER CAN KILL YOU ... and it kills many people every year. YouTube - electrocution - man get electrocuted

Hi David,
What you described about a pma motor off a car sounds like an alternator which is one of the worst things to use as a wind generator. Any wind generator worth it's salt will output AC in most common a 3 phase supply, then by using a recifier you convert it to DC. When the wind generator is connected to a batterybank the DC voltage will be clamped by the battery and the more the wind blows the more current the wind generator will produce. The wind generator won't know when the batteries are full so you DO need to install or make a diversion controller. In the RE projects forum I have put in a LM358 based one that simply works, I have one on my 2hp motor I converted to a wind turbine and the same diversion controller also does my solar. Most commercial solar controllers will simply short the panels when the batteries are charged but with a wind turbine connected a diversion controller MUST be installed or the chance of cooking your expensive will happen.

With your next post please provide alot more detail on what you want to do as with short messages we can't get a true idea and we only guessing what you want to do.

Regards Bryan

Hi,

Hi , i do have a solar project also but i want to tie in some wind power also
i have a pma off a car but my question is a AC motor better to use and if so
how do i wire it to my system ? The pma is not hooked to the system yet ,it is connect to a disconnect and then a small battery for now because i was told it needed to be under load I am just starting to get ready to start connecting everything up.

Last edited by a moderator:
David you need a charge controller designed for wind turbines ... i would recommend that you start small ...very very small and learn how the systems work ... stay far far away from your homes AC hydro and build some small lighting systems which use 12 volt DC ... if you make a mistake your only going to see a few sparks or at worst fry some inexpensive equipment ... MAINS POWER CAN KILL YOU ... and it kills many people every year. YouTube - electrocution - man get electrocuted

Why does this forum have so many of these do gooders.
For Pete´s sake leave off it and allow people to worry about their own safety. Its none of your business

So what does pma stand for ?
pulse modulate ?

I would have thought an Alternator with a built in regulator would be ideal to play with.
Connected to a battery , you would have to have a pilot light drawing 100mA or so connected to the lamp diode . This excites the alternator and gets it started , then the lamp goes out and charge flows to the battery depending on how the regulator sees the battery state. If battery voltage is low a lot of current will be fed to the field coil and a lot of current will then flow to the battery. When the battery is near charged a very small current flows.

So I imagine if the battery is low and the wind is low it would be hard to get the windmill going. The field would load up and make it hard to turn the blades.
What is done here to overcome that?

MAINS POWER CAN KILL YOU ... and it kills many people every year. YouTube - electrocution - man get electrocuted

Why does this forum have so many of these do gooders.
For Pete´s sake leave off it and allow people to worry about their own safety. Its none of your business

I dont think that ts such a bad thing to warn someone about the hazards of such projects...If anything, you should be thanking him for his concern for your safety

Yes ,well my point, put simply is, ¨Why is this any of his business and why does he feel compelled to push his safety point of view on others ?¨
Remember this post is not bad where it discusses the subject but why have we got to have the ¨nanny ¨ approach ?
His chosen name ¨ḧelpmonkey¨ is perhaps enlightening

The posters here are adults generally and this continual thread of sanctimonious safety drivel is just tiresome and boring.

Last edited:
Yes ,well my point, put simply is, ¨Why is this any of his business and why does he feel compelled to push his safety point of view on others ?¨
Remember this post is not bad where it discusses the subject but why have we got to have the ¨nanny ¨ approach ?
His chosen name ¨ḧelpmonkey¨ is perhaps enlightening

The posters here are adults generally and this continual thread of sanctimonious safety drivel is just tiresome and boring.

Very few posters give their age, and few give their skillset level. There are very young kids/teenagers that ask questions on here, so I dont think that reminding someone of the dangers of the hobby are so out of line.
I often try to discourage people who are on here, from working on things like Microwave ovens...every year locally there are several people in the news that have killed themselves working on microwve ovens/tvs etc that obviously had no idea of what they were doing, but had received a bit of information on the internet, and attempted a repair that they shouldnt have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back