Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my successes with the PIC16F628

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrykeegan

I am retired and have a good deal of time. I am totally fixated on programming the PIC, specifially the PIC16F628 microcontroller. I've done all my own software and hardware.
There was a period of time where I saw no signs of life whatsoever in my PIC! I've used QBASIC as my software language to program the chip. I follow the 160 pages of specifications that can be found out on the internet and 30 more pages on the programming of the chip.

I have a background in programming and electronics, and therefore do not advise everyone to jump in and do it the way I have. But I am enjoying every bit of it even the frustration. To do programming - and electronics - you have to have some patience.

Where am I now? I am writing assembler language programs, still rather simple ones, and loading them onto the PICs, which I have been able to get for $2 each at Mouser electronics.

Example of a program: count in binary and display the count at a slow rate on 4 LEDs.
Generate a series of tones, and repeat them continuously. Program a list or array of values into the EEPROM data memory (it's not that easy, either). Access those values from a PIC program, say - one to generate musical tones, or a series of codes suitable for driving a stepping motor.

Some experimentors will go the way of the Basic Stamp, but I looked at a $49 price and decided for my $2 PIC & assembler programming.

For some more info you might want to check in on my BLOG (weblog) at
keegan.org/larry/blog

Larry Keegan in Stoneham, MA, USA

You probably want to change your email address around on your blog so it's not picked up by robots cruisng the net. You're going to be getting alot of spam on that account soon.

Something like johnATjohndoe.com or john#johndoe.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back