Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLab 8.92 Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Language: MPASM

I use MPLab 8.92 Project Wizard to create new projects. Toolsuite is kept on DiskC (Program Files (x86). No problems with doing that. Assembly code compiles fine.

Sometimes, and I do not know what the variable is, after compiling, there is no <filename>.hex file . That creates a message, "Clean Warning: File '<filename>.hex' doesn't exist." (attached) Warning.PNG

Here is an example of a very similar project file without the warning: No Warning.PNG

Nevertheless, the programmer will program a chip properly. If I close MPLab and open the folder with the project in Windows Explorer, I can find the .HEX (uppercase) in the folder for the project that compiles without the warning. The project that gives the warning has a file with no extension. That file is a hex file. I can rename it, .HEX, open the project and compile without a warning one time. After that, it get removes that "HEX" file (doesn't rename it) and the warning re-appears. The rest of the outputs look the same.

A Google search showed a few instances of questions about this, but no resolution that I can find. In one failed attempt to solve it, I deleted everything, including the folder, created a new folder and project and got the same results. That is, I get the warning.

ADDENDUM: Tried a procedure found on an MC forum to solve problem. That was, go to Project>Build Options>Project>linker tab and set format to INHX32 That was already set, but what I found is that any change to the build options results in a good build without the warning for the FIRST build. Subsequent builds then give the warning.

John

Last edited:
Hi John.... If you try to build a project with errors it will delete existing files anyway.. When you do a clean build the file may be non existent!! I don't pay much attention to the build unless there are errors...

MikroC does something weird... On a bad build, the files are not cleansed, so its easy to think everything is Aokay!! The hex file is still the same

Hi Ian,

Both projects compile without errors and actually work. One of the puzzles is the behavior described in my addendum. Any change, even marking or unmarking case sensitivity or radix (I define radix in code anyway) results in a successful build of both projects without the warning. Then with the one project, when I rebuild I get the warning and with the other, I do not get a warning. The .hex file is erased from the folder of the project that gives the warning, but not from the one with no warning.

I thought computers were supposed to be consistent ;)

Does it make a difference????? I am not sure.

The "executing" command in the two builds is slightly different (notice the order and case for the "/W"):

EDIT: FOUND ANOTHER PROJECT WITH THE WARNING, AND ITS EXECUTING COMMAND WAS THE SAME FORMAT AS THE ONE BELOW WITH NO WARNING.

Build with Warning:
Executing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPASM Suite\mplink.exe" /p16F1829 "SPI2Servo_16F1829_v.1.0.o" /z__MPLAB_BUILD=1 /m"SPI2Servo_16F1829_v.1.0.map" /w /o"SPI2Servo_16F1829_v.1.0.cof" /x

Build with No Warning:
Executing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPASM Suite\mplink.exe" /p16F1519 "16F1519_SPI_AS5048.o" /z__MPLAB_BUILD=1 /o"16F1519_SPI_AS5048.cof" /M"16F1519_SPI_AS5048.map" /W /x

John

Last edited:
One thing you must remember!!! MPLAB is written by humans..... That's why its full 'o' bugs!!! Who knows what is happening... I can compile XC8 code in MPLAB 8.xx and run the simulation in ISIS.... I can compile "THE EXACT SAME CODE" in MPLAB X and the simulator picks up word alignment errors.. (Pic18 ).

Same linker, same compiler!!! The editor is crap!!! I compiled some code some time ago!! Syntax error on one line.. I tried everything in the book.... I finally copied the line and pasted underneath the faulty line SAME CODE!!! Remmed out the faulty line and voila!!! Ding Ding Ding.. Works fine....

One thing you must remember!!! MPLAB is written by humans..... That's why its full 'o' bugs!!! Who knows what is happening... I can compile XC8 code in MPLAB 8.xx and run the simulation in ISIS.... I can compile "THE EXACT SAME CODE" in MPLAB X and the simulator picks up word alignment errors.. (Pic18 ).

Same linker, same compiler!!! The editor is crap!!! I compiled some code some time ago!! Syntax error on one line.. I tried everything in the book.... I finally copied the line and pasted underneath the faulty line SAME CODE!!! Remmed out the faulty line and voila!!! Ding Ding Ding.. Works fine....

The current MPLAB X (maybe fixed in 3.10) has problems with cache concurrency and file buffering. I've had to add a space to a line, save, then edit the space out to stop phantom errors.

FOUND IT OR AT LEAST ONE OF THEM

Grasping at straws, I noticed that my habit of appending version numbers to the Assembly file seemed to correlate with failure to find the hex file.

Example (warning: no hex file):

Stepper project name.PNG Stepper file name.PNG

Notice project name and file name are different. The file shown without an extension is the hex file.

Example (no warning message):

no warning same name.PNG

That is only one issue. The MCS files for some projects are drastically different than for other projects, and I havent found a reason for that yet. That difference doesn't seem to affect how they work.

Your results may vary, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I wasted the whole day on this. Wish I were paid by the hour.

John

Last edited:
Hola John
Not sure if I got that right. I recall one setting allowing MPLAB to erase (some) files PRIOR starting to compile.

I just got a PIC24F eval kit and installed the Mplad IDE that came with the CD. It completely messed up my monitor display. Since I have a 25 inch monitor plugged into my laptop, my computer was trying to partition my screen and I could hardly use the computer. I eventually found a setting in the win 7 to correct the problem but dang it was so frustrating. So now I am good. I know C++ but never wrote code for embedded design, so I will see how it goes.

Ye[p I want to no how you get xc8 to work with 8.92 theres no place to add it but i guess hi tech just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back