Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

movement sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhectic

Hi everyone,

Im trying to do some research on all the possible sensors i could use to detect a shaking movement, such as when you shake a deodrate can for instance. What I'd like the sensor to do is trigger a system as soon as the shaking is sensed.

Ive found that a Piezo Vibration Sensor could be an possible option, but i'd like several alternatives or maybe something more suited to this motion.

if anyone can give me a list perhaps of possible sensors that i could look into that would be fantastic!

all the help i can get is truely appriciated!
MrHectic

you could use an accelerometer, i wouldn't say there are loads of ways to do this, but i'm sure someone will prove me wrong

Check this link on tilt sensors:

**broken link removed**

Particularly the "ball in a cage" switch (which can be easily and cheaply fabricated on a PCB with some bare wire and a small metal ball bearing)...

Look up MEMS accelerometer.

With all the new smart phones using them they have become pretty cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'l look into them and do my research before i select one.
If you have any more ideas, please do post! The more possiblities the better!

Thanks guys, really appericiate the help.
Mrhectic

I just coil 10 turns of fine tinned copper wire into 2mm coil and place a dob of solder on the end. Then place stiff tinned copper wire through the middle. I use it for shake projects. It only reacts to shaking and costs nothing.

Dude, if you want to build your own sensor means, here is the idea, Tungsten filament movement sensor.
you know tungsten(filament inside incandescent bulb) can vibrate heavily even for small vibrations. mount the one end filament from a roof of sensor arrangement. place two copper or aluminium pins so close to the filament (not touching it). if the sensor is subjected to motion means the filament will touch the nearby pins making a contact between the pins and filament. you can use this switching action for the sensing.

hey guys, thanks for the ideas.
Yeah, i do plan to use some sort of sensor to achieve this, but perhaps self making one would be a good area to look into aswell.
Thanks once again guys.

A mercury switch might do it too

Hi everyone,

Im trying to do some research on all the possible sensors i could use to detect a shaking movement, such as when you shake a deodrate can for instance. What I'd like the sensor to do is trigger a system as soon as the shaking is sensed.

Ive found that a Piezo Vibration Sensor could be an possible option, but i'd like several alternatives or maybe something more suited to this motion.

if anyone can give me a list perhaps of possible sensors that i could look into that would be fantastic!

all the help i can get is truely appriciated!
MrHectic

Hey dude, i have designed a new tilt sensor. take a look at it, this might help you
**broken link removed**
all the comments, suggestions and ideas for the sensor is welcomed.

The multi-position tilt sensor described above can be made even simpler by coiling fine tinned copper wire into a spring and putting a dob of solder on the top. Place 8 thick tinned copper wires around the spring and the sensor can be made very small.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back