Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOS memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with this query? Thank you.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• de_ram.jpg
    de_ram.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 326
This just means that ROM can be used as logic if you think of the address as an input and the data as the output. This implies parallel addressing and parallel output (rather than serial) which probably is what the PLA structure is refering to. Whatever data you store in the ROM becomes the logic output based on the address, and the address is selected via the inputs.

Thank you.

This just means that ROM can be used as logic if you think of the address as an input and the data as the output. This implies parallel addressing and parallel output (rather than serial) which probably is what the PLA structure is refering to. Whatever data you store in the ROM becomes the logic output based on the address, and the address is selected via the inputs.

But how can one implement combinational circuits like **broken link removed** or **broken link removed** using a ROM? Is the text saying that PLA is also a kind of ROM which is used to implement logic?

Could you please help me with these queries too? Thanks.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• de_memory_chip.jpg
    de_memory_chip.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 301
But how can one implement combinational circuits like **broken link removed** or **broken link removed** using a ROM?

Most ROMs would have more address inputs and more data outputs than these simple logic circuits. But extra inputs can be tied either high or low, and you can ignore outputs you don't need. Then simply program the ROM with the data that corresponds with the truth table for the logic circuit.

current switch, emitter-coupled pair, ECL

Hi

Could you please help me with this query? Thank you.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• de_ecl.jpg
    de_ecl.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 292
I know you are familial with the Euler relations between sin/cos and the complex exponential functions. A similar set of relations exist for the hyperbolic trig functions and they can be related to ordinary exponential functions.

Hence, the following is true.

[latex]{\rm tanh}\ x=\frac{\exp(x)-\exp(-x)}{\exp(x)+\exp(-x)}[/latex]

Maybe you already knew that part, but this is the form you need to prove the identity.

The hint is to factor something out of the numerator and denominator to get the correct argument for the tanh function.

Thank you, Steve.

I hope I have it correct. It was quite complicated. By the way, it's amazing that you knew that what had to be done without solving it!

Best regards
PG

Attachments

• de_tanh.jpg
    de_tanh.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 269
That looks correct. It's not really that amazing that I can suggest the approach without doing it. Often the form of the identity makes the method clear even without solving it. Of course, I had to assume that the identity was true to have confidence that what I suggested was correct. But, it's a reasonable assumption given that it is in a book. If there had been a typo in the book, ... maybe I wouldn't look so smart right now? :)

But, let me do it now to show how my mind saw the solution. Often these identities look more complicated than they really are. It's just a matter of getting to the essential problem and being familiar with a few relations.

Watch how we can simplify this using x=Vbe1/Vt and y=Vbe2/Vt and some forethought in deciding what to multiply by (or factor out of) in the numerator and denominator.

Start with [latex] \frac{e^x-e^y}{e^x+e^y}[/latex]

Now multiply this expression by [latex] \frac{\exp{\frac{-x-y}{2}}}{\exp{\frac{-x-y}{2}}} =1[/latex]

This gives [latex] \frac{\exp{\frac{-x-y}{2}}}{\exp{\frac{-x-y}{2}}}\cdot\frac{e^x-e^y}{e^x+e^y}=\frac{\exp{\frac{x-y}{2}}-\exp{\frac{-x+y}{2}}}{\exp{\frac{x-y}{2}}+\exp{\frac{-x+y}{2}}}=\tanh \frac{x-y}{2}[/latex]

Thank you.

But how can one implement combinational circuits like **broken link removed** or **broken link removed** using a ROM? Is the text saying that PLA is also a kind of ROM which is used to implement logic?

Could you please help me with these queries too? Thanks.

Regards
PG

Make a lookup table for ABCD and work out the outputs for all input combinations,

Use ABCD as an address on a ROM (LSB to LSB+3)

Use one of the Data outputs as an output from your lookup table.

ABCD /Y Y
0000 0 1
0001 0 1
0010 0 1
0011 1 0
0100 0 1
0101 0 1
0110 0 1
0111 1 0
1000 0 1
1001 0 1
1010 0 1