Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mobile home to garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

juriah1

I have a mobile home with 200 amp service. Wanting to run electric 45 feet to the garage to run a lincoln welder and a 220 5hp air compressor. What gauge wire would be enough to get the job done. It will be buried. I will also have a panel in the garage. Any help would be nice.

Last edited:
You might consider consulting an electrician's handbook but there are a number of factors to consider. The outlet requirements for the welder must be known. My welder requires a 50 amp, 220 service -yours might be different. The 5 hp motor may impose a full load current of about 20 amps suggesting a breaker and wiring for something more than that (you can't connect a load that draws close to 100% of rated load of the circuit. I'd offer a caution on the 5 hp compressor. For a time, some retailers were exagerating the horsepower ratings of their tools and appliances. In my opinion, you'd want to allow for both the welder and the compressor to run at the same time.

I second enlisting the help of an electrician, if for nothing else a working knowledge of the electrical codes. I assume you are in the US?

I know you for example plan to power a welder and compressor, however, any garage outlets must be GFI protected. Additiopnally as to power to the garage using AWG 12, 10 or 8 will get you 20, 30, and 50 amp service respectively. However, if the run exceeds 70 feet in length you need to go to the next larger wire size to compensate for voltage drops under loads.

For 240 VAC service you need to run 3 conductor cable with Ground (4 conductor total). If you are planning to bury the cable there is a whole new set of rules as to depth depending on cable type or if a conduit is run. Likewise rules for overhead runs.

Depending on location the work can be subject to inspection including in progress inspections. The NEC (National Electric Code) gets pretty specific on most of this stuff which is the main reason I suggest a qualified electrician. If the work is not done to code and results in fire or injury your insurance company may not want to know you.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back