Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mini project help

Status
Not open for further replies.
manohar said:
i have found an interesting project on the site
http://www.geocities.com/tjacodesign/cerberes/cerberes.html
but it uses a pic mictocontroller . can the circuit be built with an 8085 processor(also using 8255) (if possible can u help me with the circuit diagram please)
my email id : c.n.murthy@indiatimes.com

You could use any micro-controller or micro-processer, but the advantage of the PIC is it's small size and lack of external components. Using an 8085 and 8255 is going to make it many times larger - as for a circuit, simply consult the datasheets - there's nothing complicated about it.

Yeah, I agree with Nigel. PIC is more advatage, and it's easier to write asm code. I'm writing muchie in 8951, but finally I choose PIC for my graduate project. As you will see that the advantages of PIC family is not only the simple PICs, but the whole family, there many type of specific chips that you only have to learn one time. For this such simple project, 16f84 is good enough.

There are many 8051 chips out there these days. Philips has some 8 pin 8051s that require no external components. The assembly does have more intructions which is more complicated but you also have more to work with. But if you are new to microcontrollers you might want to stick with the same PIC used in the project example.

Brent

Oh, I think PIC has fewer instructions because it's a RISC CPU, and each intruction need only one cycle. Other MC instructions may takes 2 or more cycles. With RISC CPU, each intructions operate a only one intruction. But to CISC CPU, one instruction may include 2 or more instructions. For example, if you want to save b'ff' to a register, in PIC, you have to move it to W register before move it to the register. But with CISC MC, you can write directly to move b'ff' to a register. But the fact that, the MOV instruction will do as move it to a shift register, than move b'ff' to your expected register. They are complex instructions. But PIC instructions is reduced.

Therefore, it's easier with PIC, and PIC can also do as much as any other chips could. Of course, I'm waiting for MICROCHIP to produce a fuzzy chip, but :D....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back