Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mileage correction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

Not sure if this is allowed to be asked here,but I figured I would give it a shot.I was wondering if there is free/cheap software available to correct digital odometers,along with the schematic to build the OBDII adapter.I know there are kits available for many thousands of dollars,but was just curious to how these things worked,FOR EXPEREMENTIAL USE ONLY.I just like to play with these things,no intent on hurting anyone,thanks for the help... :lol:

There are several ICs that are used as the heart of some OBDII tools and I did read about them and obtain schematics after a little googling - possibly OBDII schematic. As I recall, the IC was inexpensive as it is only the interface. I have seen some 'freeware' for OBDII. Sorry I don't have the urls.

Not getting enough value on that trade-in, eh Rescue1? -elbow- -elbow- :lol:

Well, I not going to be an accessory to fraud, but if you're interested in the legal applications of auto computing, I'd order an ELM OBD-II Interpreter. Once you know what output and connector type your vehicle has, you get way better information out of it than milage. As with most embedded ICs, it's useless without a microcontroller or PC.

I ignored the odometer part of the post initially but should have mentioned this earlier - you could stop by and visit a dealer if all you want to do is ask questions. I purchased a reconditioned electronic dashboard for my Chevy Blazer a few years ago. I had to bring the old one in so they could "transfer" the mileage.

I would hope that the odometers are difficult to modify - or that might have some built in traps in case someone experimented. Sadly, it's a huge financial gain/loss and I am sure people have found a way around whatever security there is in the system.

This is an area of automotive electronics that has become of intense intrest to the more fraudulent haulage operators/drivers of europe with the upcoming introduction of digital tachographs.

Truck drivers often have dual displays in newer vehicles that display both Kilometeres and Miles here in the UK , merely counting the number of pulses in a given period of time... factor in the gearbox ouput ratio ..and hey presto..miles or km but the "connection" to the wheel speed is still mechanical and not subject to easy interference, but with a digital tacho the wheel speed sensor is going to be a third party add-on , the wiring and sensor may be tamper proof ( allegedly...have yet to get my hands on one) and the position of inspected by the authorities after fitting.....but were there's a will , there is a way.

I recently took a close look at the CarChip products. They plug into your OBDII connector and grab data as you go. The data is stored then downloaded to a PC for analysis, display, etc. I ended up purchasing an Actron as it seemed more of what I needed. If my kids were still at home and driving I could use the Carchip as sort of a "supervisor" to record speeds, miles, acceleration rates, etc. I'd also have let the kids know about it. While I don't like surveillance like this the rather dire consequences of excess speed or other poor driving would seem to justify this - at least for a while.

Tansis, you mentioned Tachographs, I used to work for a place that built the division/multiply ratio boxes that were installed with the old VDO analog "circle chart recorder" tachographs. There were lots of tamper seals on the boxes, and a really lame key on the tacho itself, but the main deterent to tampering was simple.... broken seal, no payment.

The sender was mostly a mag sender on the drive shaft, impossible to alter, and the division/multiply box was right beside the tacho, in plain sight.

Not many were ever tampered with at the risk of no payment for a weeks haulage.

Whilst few would attempt to circumvent the government seals of a tachograph head for neferious purposes, many drivers have developed non-invasive techniques for altering how the chart information is recorded or rather not recorded would be more accurate. European legislation that limits the working hours of truck drivers introduced in April has sparked something of a revival in these practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back