Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mid-air SOIC soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilan1

I was looking at this guy's webpage:

**broken link removed**

and what he did was take an 8-pin SOIC package and solder
wires to it. And then he kind of suspended the thing in mid air
which I thought was kind of cool.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do this properly?

I was thinking to just lay the SOIC package down on a piece of
white paper and then just solder wires to it. I'm curious as to
what people think would be a good gauge of wire to use.

Ilan

You can imagine that the smalest wire the better.

Oh and the point of this was to make the smaler webserver that way he used this and becuse he dosent have a proper PCB for SOIC he had to do it this way.

Its better to use na PDIP isnted of SOIC if you waht to make such an PCB

Haha. Ya, I had to do that a couple times before I started making my own boards. I still have some examples of it on the shelf somewhere. My suggestion is to bend every second leg up. You can then solder wires to each leg and they are spaced out better; not as close to each other.

As for where to do it, get a clamp thing. I have no idea what they call it, but the standard electronics tool that clamps on to your work with 2 small aligator clamps and has a heavy base.

You can also use ribbon cable. I've done that a couple times when the spacing is correct. Strip a small amount of insulation off the end of the ribbon cable, exposing the wires. Solder the whole thing onto the legs of the IC. The you can seperate the ribbon cable wires farther down and solder them where they are needed.

I found an old example and took a picture of it. This is an SOIC, so the legs are spaced apart fairly well. SSOP's and stuff get harder:

**broken link removed**

@DitryLude:

Nice work on the soldering - you must have great amounts of patience :)
-----

Last Dec, I soldered an SOT-23 (or is that 223) part to a DIL-6 socket, for use in a breadboad

**broken link removed**

I'm not a very patient person, so forgive the sloppy soldering ... I also did that without benefit of any magnifaction - a pair of jewelers glasses or something probably would have made it easier! that greyish white stuff near the one pin is just a piece of paper towel that snagged when I was cleaning off the residue.

now I just make my own adapter boards, impatience still shows in the rough edges as I depanelized this pcb using a razor knife and flush cuts.

**broken link removed**

Ha! You massacred that first one. As long as it works. I know the first I have probably looked just as nasty.

I don't use the breadboard all that much now, but I've made up a few test component boards, like for the LIN controllers, and my SD card test and things.

I can show off my 1337 skillz now.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

As for regular SOIC soldering to a PCB, what I did this last weekend
was just melt some solder onto the tip of my iron and then just rubbed
the iron tip against where the lead of the SOIC and the pad on the PCB
met.

It seemed to work fine!

There's still an application where I'm going to need to do a spaghetti
SOIC soldering mess and point-to-point wiring, but I was pleasantly
surprised at how easy SOIC soldering onto a PCB was. It was a lot
easier than I expected!