Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring transconductance(gm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TUBES:

transconductance is the change in the plate(anode)/cathode current divided by the corresponding change in the grid/cathode voltage, with a constant plate(anode)/cathode voltage. Typical values of gm for a small-signal vacuum tube are 1 to 10 millisiemens.

FETS:
in field effect transistors, transconductance is the change in the drain/source current divided by the change in the gate/drain voltage with a constant drain/source voltage. Typical values of gm for a small-signal field effect transistor are also 1 to 10 millisiemens.

TRANSITORS:
The gm of bipolar small-signal transistors varies widely, increasing exponentially with the emitter current. It has a typical range of 1 to 400 millisiemens. The input voltage change is applied between the base/emitter and the output is the change in collector current flowing between the collector/emitter with a constant collector/emitter voltage.
A transconductance amplifier outputs a current proportional to its input voltage.

OTA:

What are the differences? and why are the transconductance different?

i don't understand where is the difference..
transconductance is the change in o/p current wrt change in i/p voltage .
for each of the above devices the i/p and o/p method/pins(whatever u call it)
may be different . it doesn't mean the gm is different .

oh sorry i thought the (gm) would be different because of the different millisiemens from input to output

Because i thought the millisiemens (gm) is different from input to output for a tube VS OTA VS transistor VS FET

The gm of bipolar small-signal transistors varies widely, increasing exponentially with the emitter current. It has a typical range of 1 to 400 millisiemens.

Typical values of gm for a small-signal field effect transistor are also 1 to 10 millisiemens.

Typical values of gm for a small-signal vacuum tube are 1 to 10 millisiemens.

See the bold see the difference of (gm) ? of the millisiemens why are they different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back