Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring rate of change

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
How to measure rate of change voltages?

How to measure a intergrators output ?
the ramps rate of change

I always use an op-amp configured as a differentiator. 741 works for me, but it might not be responsive enough for some applications. If I have a scope handy, I'll test it and send a sine wave into it and watch for a constant phase shift on the output. If you can get an eval copy of MicroSim's PSpice, you can simulate a lot of op amps pretty well in my opinion. It saves a ton of time.

Last time I used an integrator, I wanted a digital output and just tied an A-to-D converter to the output. 'Had some scaling problems, but it worked.

Rate of change is nothing more than the number of units that have changed divided by the time it took the change to occur. Yes, you can use an oscilloscope to measure that. For instance, the slew rate of an amplifier (how fast will the output change with a step change at the input) is a typical rate of change specification. Connect the scope to the output, a square wave generator to the input, look at the output on the scope (it will appear as a ramp, depending upon the sweep speed) and for a determined voltage change, say four divisions at 2 volts/div setting for 8 volts, measure the time from those same two points. Divide the voltage by the time to get the units in volts/second.

Dean

Is the Rise time and Fall time of a Pulse a Rate of change?

The Slope is the rate of change of the Pulse ?

So i count the number of boxes on the oscilloscope and do i have to
use a formula to convert time to rate of change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back