Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking For Brake Pedal Pad Modification Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello folks,

I am in the process of restoring an Historic Vehicle and the manufacturer no longer makes replacement brake pedal pads. I would like to find an idea on how to make one custom without having to cast any rubber or anything like that. Perhaps epoxy, fiberglass, etc., or whatever you can think of.

It has to be super reliable so it cant slide off because after all it's one of the most important parts of the vehicle: the brake.

Just to note, i saw those metal 'universal' pads and i dont want to use that if i dont have to. I'd like to find ideas on how to make one at home or with products that are not too hard to find.

This is quite important to me really as i'd like to get the car restored as much as possible.

Oh yeah, the more it 'looks' like a real brake pedal pad the better :)

The only thing that wont be original is the interior lighting, which is going LED, and some other electronic stuff. Of course i cant resist throwing in a touch of electronics.

Thanks for any ideas, comments, etc.

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I am in the process of restoring an Historic Vehicle and the manufacturer no longer makes replacement brake pedal pads. I would like to find an idea on how to make one custom without having to cast any rubber or anything like that. Perhaps epoxy, fiberglass, etc., or whatever you can think of.

I would STRONGLY suggest you don't even consider such a stupid idea - particularly as you seem to have no idea whatsoever what brake pads are even made from :eek:

Assuming you can't actually buy replacement pads? (which seems unlikely?, they are usually available even for extremely old vehicles, via user groups etc.) then major brake pad/shoe manufacturers commonly offer a refurbishment service. Essentially you send them the old pads, and they fit new linings of the material you specify (I would suggest you take their advice what material) - basic options are longer life, or high performance (such as for racing use etc.)

Going back a few decades now, I had the option of buying a number of different grades of brake shoes for my Suzuki T350 - not manufacturers parts, but from a motorbike spares distributor who had various different grades manufactured by Ferodo.

https://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/default.aspx

I notice they even have nationwide relining depots for trucks.

In which case I'm less scared than I was :D

Hee hee, yes, you can rest assured that i did not mean the "brake pads", but actually the "brake pedal pad", which covers the foot pedal that you press down with your foot when you want to stop the car. The pedal is made of a little rectangle of metal about 2.5 inches long by 1.75 inches wide. The pad looks like rubber although it could be synthetic, and has grooves in it almost like a tire tread.
I got one that was 2.4 inches long by 1.75 inches wide and it wont fit, so that shows how close the fit has to be.
You mentioned User Groups, you mean for older cars? Where might i look for that?

I Know you said you did not want to cast rubber but it is possible that eastwood has a kit to make that easy.

Really, where can i find this kit? I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

I thought about cutting 0.05 off each end of the metal but not sure i want to go that route as there is no backing up if it doesnt work right. It is an option though yes, thanks.

I just took a look over at Polytec and it looks like the smallest amount of two part rubber i can get is about 64 dollars and that's for 6 pounds of the stuff. Geeze, just for a tiny brake pad. I have something else on the car i have to make a mold for, but it is small too.

Hi MrAl,

it's quite probable that you have already done some extensive research in locating genuine replacement brake pedal pads for your current restoration project, but are you searching solely for your particular vehicle line?

As you most likely know, parts are commonly shared beneath the umbrella of models within a manufacturer's portfolio..... you haven't yet informed us of the brand of vehicle you are bringing back to glory, yet alone the model.

Please advise, in order for possible cross-refs.

Oh well, it took me a while to figure that we are talking about cars. I got confused when it came to rubbers. MrAl could have mentioned the make/model and received an accurate response. E

Yep make and model would help. There are many time the OEM no longer makes parts. But it doesn't mean that an aftermarket manufacturer does. I replaced the brake pad rubber in a 10 year old car with a special order from Pep Boys. It was from the manufacturer that makes all of the do dads that PB has on display Dorman Help. I'd also try www.rockauto.com

I have a lawn mower (Troy Built) and the OEM - MTD no longer makes wheels for it, but I can still get them. If I order 4, sorta local (45 minutes away), they will drop ship them to me.

Hi,

strantor:
Im not sure if i feel comfortable using glue to glue on a pad. I think most glue has a tendency to loosen up when there is a shear force at work. Yes, with a perfect pressure force straight down on the pedal i would have no problem using glue, but i have a feeling any glue would allow the shear force to make the pad slide sideways or up or down. Perhaps you have tried something like this already.

Car Details:
It's a 1988 Hyundai Excel, which actually becomes Historic in my state in January of 2013 so im getting an early start. I was surprised to find that no places that i looked carry some of the parts such as:
Emissions Reed Valve (also known as Secondary Air Control Valve)
Small hub caps (not the full hub caps, just the center cap)
Brake and pedal pads (which is what this thread is about really)

Note here that some sites actually *SHOW* two of the parts listed above, but when i order they come back with an email that states:
"Order canceled, not in stock and part no longer made".
That really bites because this happened twice already.

This car was pretty cool looking when it was new. Right now it has only 97k original miles and runs nice.
Our town has historic vehicle shows every year right in the center of town where more than 50 vehicles from the distant past usually show up. It's like the streets are lined with them at some times.

Last edited:
An Indian fellow went to the store and asked for a 'rubber'. What he wanted was an eraser. Nonetheless, he was surprised when he was shown the birth control devices.

Hello,

So i have given the car model information in post #13, does that help?

I do have some other ideas that could work, but would be out of the ordinary. Cut it apart and weld another, more easily obtained, brake pedal backing to it.

Or use a fastener such as this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#binding-posts/=hrbkrr to fasten a similar pad. For stability, I'd also use contact cement on the pedal/rubber.

Or just cut another piece of steel to fit another pad, use flat head screws to fasten to the existing pad and fasten with aircraft nuts in the rear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back