Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium/Silicone Grase on Metal/Nylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
DOes anyone know anything about grease? It seems lithium grease is the general purpose grease. I've heard it works better than silicone for metal, but I don't know?

When it comes to plastics, some people say silicone will not dissolve the plastic but lithium will, while others say the opposite (the more "official" sources though seem to say silicone should be used on plastics).

Anyone know? Which grease does the job better when dissolving of plastics is irrelevent? And about the chemical compatibility of both greases?

This subject comes up alot in astronomy ( another hobby I have ). In astronomy the need is for a clean lubricant that wont harm aluminum, nylon, brass, plastic, has good temperature range properties, etc. The amateur astronomist needs a grease for their telescope mounts that will perform over a wide range of temperature ( freezing winter to hot summer ) and will not attack the materials used in the mount that may cost thousands of dollars. The problem with most lithiums is that the "lithium soap" tends to separate from the base oils, and run out making a mess. Think of what peanut butter looks like when it has sat for awhile.. oil floating on a stiff solid. Lithium grease was designed as a non-staining grease.

The general consensus is that a premium food grade synthetic grease offers the best of most worlds. These look like vaseline, and are rated for just about any use. The one most are using is called SuperLube by Synco. It is even an excellent dielectric, so it's safe around electronics.

here is a link: **broken link removed**

Radio Shack used to stock a product called "lube gel with PTFE" that is SuperLube rebranded. The synco stuff is available in many auto parts store, marine/boat dealers parts places, and some "big box" stores.

BTW, I have nothing to do with Synco, I just like and use the product.

I don't know anything about the compounds you've suggested. I've tried foodlube to lubricate an electric screwdriver and it was very messy and smelled disgusting. I certainly wouldn't recommend this stuff for use around food since it will alter the flavour.

Hero999 said:
I've tried foodlube to lubricate an electric screwdriver and it was very messy and smelled disgusting. I certainly wouldn't recommend this stuff for use around food since it will alter the flavour.

How did you figure this out? Using your drill to drill some holes for candles in the cake or something?

Common sense. Food lube is designed to be used around food yet it smells and probably tases disgusting, so obviously if it got into the food it would make it tase disgusting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back