Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Knobs for trimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megamox

I've been using these trimmer capacitors for my FM transmitters and using a plastic tool to tweak them. But i wanted to put the whole transmitter into an enclosure and use a knob to tweak them instead, just not sure how to do it, what the knob is called, and how will i mount it. Im not sure if the diagram i have drawn is the best way of doing it but its the only idea i have, Any help thanks.

Attachments

• 12010001.jpg
    12010001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 414
These capacitors are intended as trimmers, pre-set components, adjust them and leave them. They are not intended as operator controls, I have never seen any knobs available to fit them.

However, if you have a friend with a lathe, I am sure he could knock up something as per your sketch.

JimB

For a real bang up job, you should buy an M5 bolt, then saw the head off, leaving you with a 5mm diameter metal rod. Then, carefully attach this rod to the top of the trimmer using epoixy resin. You can now fit an ordinary control to the end of the bolt shaft, providing it has a grub screw fixing.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, Up to this point, other than using the trimmer tool, i soldered an L shape paperclip to the top. But its kinda difficult to solder anything to the top of it, not sure why, but anyway that kept falling off.

I found this knob, so i can glue the end of the bolt inside that right..

Attachments

• 32039001.jpg
    32039001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 364
You should be able to, i'm not entirely sure how much extra space the thread takes up, it might actually screw into the knob like a self tapoing screw.

Solder unfortunately only works on very few metals, copper being the main one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back