Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KBPS conversions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I understand that Kbps means Kilobits per second...SO how do I find the number of kilo bytes per second?

I tried dividing Kbps by 8.

My dial up modem connects to my ISP at 36Kbps. which means that I am getting 36,000 bits per second. Dividing by 8, I have 4,500 bytes per second, which is 4kb/sec.

However I am able to get much higher speeds than this. My compression is only 3%. And I am able to get about 8-10kilobytes per second.

What could have gone wrong in the calculations ?

lord loh. said:
I understand that Kbps means Kilobits per second...SO how do I find the number of kilo bytes per second?

I tried dividing Kbps by 8.

My dial up modem connects to my ISP at 36Kbps. which means that I am getting 36,000 buts per second. Dividing by 8, I have 4,500 bytes per second, which is 4kb/sec.

However I am able to get much higher speeds than this. My compression is only 3%. And I am able to get about 8-10kilobytes per second.

What could have gone wrong in the calculations ?

Generally you have ten bits!, 8 data bits, 1 start bit, and 1 stop bit, so 36Kbps is 3.6kb/sec. If your are getting a higher speed than that, then compression is taking place - but I would also take the readings with a 'pinch of salt', they don't appear to be very accurate.

There is a website that can help you test your real world performance figure on data transfer. I forgot what it's called, will find out and let you know.

You used to get 36k modem, but I think it was 36.something-k
That was many moons ago, I might still have one lying around in a box somewhere.
I think they were mainstream around 1993, here in SA in any case.
I remember there was a big thing when the 56k units just came out (mid 90s), because they were not Telkom (local main/sole telecommunications provider) approved, because their lines could theoretically not deliver data at such speeds.
Big thing back then.
Pre 36k was 28.8k and 14k modem units, yep, those where the days. you could have a shower while waiting for a web page to load.
I'm glad I'm not still stuck with a 56k dial-up modem, good heavens.
Our thoughts are with you lord loh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back