Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

kapton tape where to buy

I have an old cheapo pci 100mbps network card I can have a go at smd rework on.
It has very tiny smd capacitors and resistors on it so I need so kapton tape to shield it.
Where do ppl get genuine kapton tape from? Do you just go to places like farnell, rapid etc etc

I just get it from ebay or amazon.

I've never had a problem with it from such sources.

I got mine from Banggood.com but TEMU.com also has it with free delivery if you can wait 2 wks (?) search heat resistant tape just disable notifications after....

It has very tiny smd capacitors and resistors on it so I need so kapton tape to shield it.
Shield from what? Kapton is merely a high heat tape It's a high temperature tape is all it is. It's not going to act as a heat sink or shield from much of anything.

A simple Google of "Kapton Tape" will bring up a few dozen hits. If I want it now I just go to Home Depot or Lowes and if a few days is OK Amazon. If you want Kapton also decide what thickness you want. Typically in thickness of 1 mil, 2 mil and 5 mil being popular.

Ron

My search at www.homedepot.ca yielded 26 results, but none of them used the word "kapton". I believe it is aircraft tape you want, where I've heard that name before on "Disasters of the 20th Century".

Shield from what? Kapton is merely a high heat tape It's a high temperature tape is all it is. It's not going to act as a heat sink or shield from much of anything.
It provides thermal shielding, and is commonly used to shield adjacent SM components in service work - it's also used as thermal shielding for satellites, it's that gold coloured 'foil' that you see wrapped around them.

As for the OP, if he's got accounts with either RS or Farnell, and he placing other orders, then it makes sense to order from there. Otherwise, Ebay or Amazon.

It provides thermal shielding, and is commonly used to shield adjacent SM components in service work - it's also used as thermal shielding for satellites, it's that gold coloured 'foil' that you see wrapped around them.
Well I'll be. Never gave satellites much thought. Been maybe over 30 years now but we actually built a large high ceiling building where a satellite could deploy its antennas. Never gave much thought to the foil looking gold colored stuff. They called it MLI (Multi Layer Insulation) but it was actually polyimide which brings us back to Kapton. Thanks for pointing that out as I never gave it much thought.

Ron

Well I'll be. Never gave satellites much thought. Been maybe over 30 years now but we actually built a large high ceiling building where a satellite could deploy its antennas. Never gave much thought to the foil looking gold colored stuff. They called it MLI (Multi Layer Insulation) but it was actually polyimide which brings us back to Kapton. Thanks for pointing that out as I never gave it much thought.

Ron
While I'll take the credit :D - I just happened to see an explanation of what it was the other day, it might have been on a SpaceX launch or something.

Hi,
A bit off topic, but I'm thinking about better insulation in my house, and I'm wondering, if it could be used as wall insulating paper? It may be too expansive, not sure.

I looked up MLI and saw this, it does mention Kapton, perhaps that's a brand?
C.

Last edited:
Hi,
A bit off topic, but I'm thinking about better insulation in my house, and I'm wondering, if it could be used as wall insulating paper? It may be too expansive, not sure.
Far too expensive, and not a very good insulator anyway - it's basically just reflective, not an 'insulator' such as you need in your house.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back