Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just a sanity check on transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero, that circuit is VERY similar to what I tried. However, as the battery voltage started to dip, the cap was slowly discharged. Like I said, I tried to use a diode on the cap input (between the 100k ohm resistor and the common point in your schematic), but even the leakage of the diode was enough to discharge the cap. Not only that, but the comparator's (LM339) input impedance was too low (even though it's in the M ohms) and would also discharge the cap slowly.

I even tried to buffer the cap by using a TL082 op-amp (gain of 1) since its input impedance is 10^12, but in the end, the diode's reverse leakage was too high. Because I'm charging at such a low current (0.3A), it takes a while for the delta peak to show up, and that time is long enough for the cap to discharge.

I even tried a 1000uF to lengthen the discharge time constant, but it wasn't enough. If I used a diode with extremely low leakage current, I would still need something like a 10,000uF or higher capacitor to make the discharge time long enough to be negligible. Don't forget, I am trying to sense delta peaks in the 2-4mv range over a 5-10 minute period so any current flow has to be taken into consideration. Input impedances and tiny leakage currents become a big factor. If I had "ideal" components; diodes with no leakage at all, and comparators with infinite input Z, zero output Z, and rail-to-rail outputs, then this circuit would be a piece of cake. :)
I was going to suggest using a higher value feedback resistor (10M) and a tantalum capacitor but you're probably right, this kind of sensing is probably not effective unless a much higher charge current is used.

I appreciate the input though. I guess what I am trying to do needs to be done with a special IC. As such, I ordered a few samples of **broken link removed**, but not sure if I will like it. It constant-current charges up to 4 cells individually, but I don't really care for the pulse charge scheme. If I want each cell to take 0.3A charge, it will be pulsed with 1.2A since the pulse has a 25% duty cycle. But it does have several other features such as pre-charge, thermistor support (for supplemental temperature detection), Alkaline battery detection, charge top-off, and maintenance charge functions. So, I plan to give it a try and see how I like it.
That's probably your best bet.

You'd think they should be able to do a lot better than 150 charge cycles.
I think audioguru has too much faith in Energizer and their marketing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back