Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

I recently got an email from Yahoo Groups:

**broken link removed**

And it looks pretty convincing if I'm a day-old doughnut. Should I give my passsword just like that?

Absolutely not.
It's not spam either, it's a typical Phishing scheme. Trying to get people to believe something that could never actually occur.

No honest website anywhere will EVER request your password for ANY reason outside of the actual official login process.

Last edited:
Yup... looks like Phishing to me also. I see that often in my emails and simply delete them or enter the address they were sent from into my IGNORE filter.

There is no secure pasword system that actually can use the original password, they all store them as one way hashes, the only way to hack such a system is to either brute force hack the hash, or simply ask the user for the password.

If you're a knowledgeable human being about security issues every red flag alert in you brain should have gone <NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>
Seeing as how you had to ask, I would recommend some personal self training about the issue.
My stepson just recently got a spy type virus on his machine from simple social manipulation. He was basically sent the file, told it was this, and it wasn't. ALL scams work under this same general concept of gaining trust and getting whatever they can from it.

Just because it looks like something you recognize from your experience on Yahoo doesn't mean it's FROM Yahoo. Again, no honest website anywhere will EVER ask for your password in ANY communication EVER.

Many companies state that they will never ask you for your password etc. One such company is The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, however, if you try to register for online banking with a keycard you will be asked for pin number and password. Select keycard on this page to see what I mean. Go figure.

Mike.

Pommie with my NAB account I chose if I ever do an online purchase or more than $500 I get sent a sms with a number I have to input and I did ask that the incoming phone number be the same everytime so I do know it is legit. No worries they set me up with what I asked so I do know it is legit.

Cheers Bryan

I have a credit card that I use for online purchases. It has a limit of $500. thus I mitigate the damages if my online CC number is compromised. Not sure if this is the best solution, but better than using my big credit cards. Many people just suck I think. Shame we always have to worry about such things.

In spite of everything looking really well duplicated and so on, the clue is in the spelling or use of words. And that nails them every time...(for me).

There is no such word as "informations".

Simply Google "informations" and Google will always return "information". They cannot construct proper sentences and that for me is the first clue of a possible phishing scam.

I received this email two days ago. Supposedly from Adobe.......

I QUOTE:

A better way to connect people, ideas and information.

Adobe Solutions is pleased to announce new version of Acrobat Dynamic PDF Reader 2010 which enables you to:

+ Connect, interact, and engage in powerful new ways;
+ Streamline how you work, collaborate more easily, and create high impact communications;
+ Designed to meet the needs of today’s business.
+ Reliably create and distribute PDF documents and forms.
+ Secure documents and accelerate information exchange with PDF.
+ Deliver the richest, most engaging PDF communications anytime, anywhere.

Acrobat Dynamic PDF Reader 2010 helps you get more done - easier, faster, better.

To learn more about new features and how to install this state-of-art application, you can:

+ Go to : (link removed)
+ Get your options, download, install and boost your works productivity.

As a complementary, you are offered a chance to get a full version of Office suite for your office work convenience.

DOWNLOAD ACROBAT DYNAMIC PDF READER 2010 TODAY

(link removed)

Thank you for choosing us, the worldwide leading PDF Solution provider.

With best regards,

Danny Brooks

Adobe PDF Reader 210
84 Cassperon Rd | Deston | CA | 96434 | USA
If you no longer wish to receive similar emails, please send a REPLY with UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject line.

UNQUOTE.

Went directly to the Adobe site and did not follow the given links. Guess what???
Even Adobe don't know about a version of their reader called PDF Reader 2010.....

Beware folks.

Here is the proper Adobe web address: https://www.adobe.com

Check it out.

Last edited:
looks convincing untill you spot the bit near the bottom that reads "After you must have followed the instructions" yahoo wouldnt use such crap grammer in that way. so i also vote on the phising scam. if i was you i would alert yahoo

Please do not put any kinds of the informaton to these message.
There are lots of tragic~~
Good luck!

Please do not put any kinds of the informaton to these message.
There are lots of tragic~~
Good luck!

Welcome guccy

Thank you for voicing your concerns too.

We will work on ze Engrish later. That's a long term project though.

Last edited:
If you're a knowledgeable human being about security issues every red flag alert in you brain should have gone <NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>
Well... I rarely receive such messages, that's probably why I look a bit foolish now. :eek: Hehee..

In spite of everything looking really well duplicated and so on, the clue is in the spelling or use of words. And that nails them every time...(for me).
I noticed that after reading it twice, but still just to be sure I asked here... :eek:

looks convincing untill you spot the bit near the bottom that reads "After you must have followed the instructions" yahoo wouldnt use such crap grammer in that way. so i also vote on the phising scam. if i was you i would alert yahoo
Yeah. I'm gonna do that. :)

Last edited:
You can also view the source the original message, it never comes from the site that it's claiming it does.

hi,
We seem to have another scam to cope with.

**broken link removed**

For crying out loud, these a**holes will stop at nothing to avoid doing actual work for money!

It's never been proven to occur Eric, it's just more fearmongering in an article to fill up empty space and our time =)
The rules it lists are pretty common sense and anyone with even a small brain should ALWAYS be on the lookout for things out of the ordinary. Anyone that thinks the net is secure in any way shape or form is deluding themselves from the start.

I'd think it'll be very useful for a person like me.. :eek: Since I'm not that experienced in things like these.. all my life (or nearly all of it) our wireless systems are from the university, guarded against a lot of schemes. (or so I think...) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back