Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is this a termal fuse or slow-blow type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAlaska

I have this motor to a kitchenaid blender that needs fixing and I am trying to get daily intake of smoothies again. A man needs his fiber! :eek:

So with that said. :)

This motor has a blow "something-or-other".

fusetype.jpg

The circled item in blue does not give anything with a continuity check across it.

Is it a fuse and if so which kind? Is it a slow burn fuse or a thermal fuse.

Here is the listed information written on the outside of it:
SEFUSE
SF139E
142 C (with the degree mark before the C)
10A

Any ideas? I know you all do... :p

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

KevinAlaska said:
I have this motor to a kitchenaid blender that needs fixing and I am trying to get daily intake of smoothies again. A man needs his fiber! :eek:

So with that said. :)

This motor has a blow "something-or-other".

View attachment 13695

The circled item in blue does not give anything with a continuity check across it.

Is it a fuse and if so which kind? Is it a slow burn fuse or a thermal fuse.

Here is the listed information written on the outside of it:
SEFUSE
SF139E
142 C (with the degree mark before the C)
10A

Any ideas? I know you all do... :p

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Yes it is a thermal fuse, designed to 'blow' open at 142 C and rated to carry a maximum of 10 amps. These type do not 'reset' and once blown open have to be replaced with a new one. These are usually very reliable devices so you can assume that something bad happeded to cause the motor to get very hot...you drop your car keys in and hit max blend speed?

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Yes it is a thermal fuse, designed to 'blow' open at 142 C and rated to carry a maximum of 10 amps. These type do not 'reset' and once blown open have to be replaced with a new one. These are usually very reliable devices so you can assume that something bad happeded to cause the motor to get very hot...you drop your car keys in and hit max blend speed?

Lefty

Heh... no care keys lost... I wonder if I can get extra minerals in me that way though? ... but I digress.

I think it was just over heat with extra use that morning. Everyone wanted there fib...er.. smoothies that morning in the home.

Those smoothies get pretty thick with nothing but yogurt and frozen fruit.

Well thank you for the information. I just happen to have a thermal fuse next to me at 144 C. Two C higher... I don't think anything will come of using that one. ;)

Thank you again for the great help

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Cheers

KevinAlaska said:
Heh... no care keys lost... I wonder if I can get extra minerals in me that way though? ... but I digress.

I think it was just over heat with extra use that morning. Everyone wanted there fib...er.. smoothies that morning in the home.

Those smoothies get pretty thick with nothing but yogurt and frozen fruit.

Well thank you for the information. I just happen to have a thermal fuse next to me at 144 C. Two C higher... I don't think anything will come of using that one. ;)

Thank you again for the great help

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Cheers

Hi Kevin,
Looks like turtle robot to me!:rolleyes:

When you fit the replacement thermal cut out, ensure that it is 'thermal' contact with the motor winding as per the original position.

Remember not to try to blend a whole turtle, take it out of the shell first!.
You must think I don't like turtles, I do, but I couldn't eat a whole one.;)

Regards
Eric

Okay okay.. busted.. this is actually a motor that I plan to use from my old blender to adapt to this turtle here so that the fricken trutle can finally win the race with OUT the rabbit taking a nap to loose the race!

I will keep you posted on who wins... :p

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Leftyretro said:
These are usually very reliable devices so you can assume that something bad happeded to cause the motor to get very hot...

I would disagree, failure of the thermal fuse for no apparent reason is extremely common.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would disagree, failure of the thermal fuse for no apparent reason is extremely common.

OH! OH! :eek: :eek: :eek:

((raises hand in that quick egger student fashion to ask a question))

Eric! Are you going to just let kind Mr. Goodwin just say a phrase like that with out much as a single tiny fuss or other slip of the mouth... er... slip of the typing fingers? :D

Utmostly Sincere,

Kevin in Alaska :p :p

KevinAlaska said:
OH! OH! :eek: :eek: :eek:

((raises hand in that quick egger student fashion to ask a question))

Eric! Are you going to just let kind Mr. Goodwin just say a phrase like that with out much as a single tiny fuss or other slip of the mouth... er... slip of the typing fingers? :D

Utmostly Sincere,

Kevin in Alaska :p :p

Hi Kevin,

I think you are suffering from sleep deprivation, Nigel's replying to Lefty!:p

Or you have 'fryer' fat on your keyboard and your fingers are slipping off the keys!:rolleyes:

Keep well [get some rest]

Regards
ERic

ericgibbs said:
Hi Kevin,

I think you are suffering from sleep deprivation, Nigel's replying to Lefty!:p

Or you have 'fryer' fat on your keyboard and your fingers are slipping off the keys!:rolleyes:

Keep well [get some rest]

Regards
ERic

Well Nigel didn't state a statistical value to define 'extremely common' or any reference source that might state a reliablity statistic for this component type. Nor do I have anything more factual then my personal experience, so I figured the world is big enough to have more then one opinion about thermal fuses. :)

I had a Mr. Coffee blow one once when I turned it on brew before adding water......catch 22, I'm not fully awake sometimes unless I've had my morning coffee first ;)

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Well Nigel didn't state a statistical value to define 'extremely common' or any reference source that might state a reliablity statistic for this component type.

To quote a famous American, "lies, damn lies, and statistics" :D

Nor do I have anything more factual then my personal experience, so I figured the world is big enough to have more then one opinion about thermal fuses. :)

My point of view is a personal professional one, as a service engineer for 36 years I've seen a LOT of failed thermal fuses of that type - and I've hardly ever found a cause for their failure. Possibly it's caused by misuse from the customer?, we've no way to know, but 90+% of the time simply changing the dead fuse gives a 100% cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back