Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it posibull to make an AC with out an alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
baileys1 said:
is it posible as i tryed to wrk it out and my eletronics teacher dosnt no how

Starting from what?, and to do what?.

Basically though you would use an inverter, often used in a car to generate mains AC voltages from the 12V battery.

AC is alternating current. You didn't specify voltage, frequency and power requirements though we might assume you are thinking of AC that you might use in your home.

The output of some oscillators,signal generators and transmitters is AC even though the level of power is relatively low. The frequency helps classify whether it is audio, ultrasonic, RF, etc.

An alternator is the traditional way of converting mechanical power into electrical current/power. You could build an audio oscillator that runs at 50 or 60 Hz. By itself it might have sufficient power or you might add an amplifier to get what you need. It's crude and inefficient but it could be done. The inverter that Nigel speaks of is a more efficient approach. I understand that a modern variable frequency drive makes it's own AC waveforms from the input power.

is it posibull to make an AC with out an alternator?
most likely not.

AC = Alternating current.

Radios have oscillators (which alternate logical outputs from 0 to 1 consistently) and AC is basically the same.

So I have to say NO for an answer.

How about a Sine Wave Power Inverter.

It Produces AC.

Although Not Much, but so Does a Sine Wave Oscillator.
Want More Power from this, Connect it to an Amplifier.

The quick answer is YES, it is possible to generate AC without an alternator.
Any oscillator will generate AC of some sort.

As Nigel has said, you do not specify the conditions for the AC which you are trying to generate, and you do not specify what you are going to use as the source of power.

If your electronics teacher does not know, it could be that you need a new electronic teacher. :roll:

You do not state your location, but I would also comment that if you are located in an English speaking country, you should pay more attention to the English teacher.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back