Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it even possible to use more than 1 LCD module on a Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Al,

The little 12F683 backpack can be configured to different baud rates, if you'd like. Just let me know what you need...

Also, on your host PIC you must wait at least 50 milliseconds after powering up the LCD interface before sending commands or data to it...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Cool. Its good that it can be changed but thats one of the problems. I don't have anything at hand to test it now I've built it.

I decided to build it as a few times I could have done with using less pins on a PIC and yours knocks the count down to 1. It seems most of the programs to test serial stuf relies on an RS232 or other serial port on a PC but sadly mine, even though it is about 6 years old, does not have a serial port.

I would have liked to have had the display working today but the Son had a car problem so I've been doing that with him all day. I really just need a way to test the backpack and a better understanding of baud rates. I have searched the PBP manual and could not dind anything like the 57600 baud you use and I just can't grasp how to enter that figure into a PBP program, every figure I try except those shown in the pages seems to generate an error. Maybe its the method I'm using but I am still baffled.

Al

Hi Al,

The little 12F683 backpack can be configured to different baud rates, if you'd like. Just let me know what you need...

Also, on your host PIC you must wait at least 50 milliseconds after powering up the LCD interface before sending commands or data to it...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Could you post a hex with 9600 baud please as I think I have something to try it with then.

Al

Hi Mike,

I managed to get the display working, to a degree. The only way I can get sensible characters from it is by using Hserout but strangely enough I had accidentally set the baud rate for 56000 and it works on that!

I am now even more puzzled now with baud rates and also with the commands to the LCD in the serial mode. The commands are strange and not at all obvious when you are used to the LCDout commands.

Can anyone suggest a place to learn the serial commands that is better than the PBP manual, they just don't give enough info and even less examples.

BTW the problem I'm having is that I can't get the LCD lines to obey commands. I have tried the 10,13 which is supposed to do a carriage return but it tends to just scroll about on both lines wherever it wants.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back