1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Inverter] Design of passive filter

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by tom911, Mar 16, 2012.

1. tom911

tom911 New Member

Hello,

I'm currently at the final stage of simple inverter design (a coursework) which consists of PWM, 6 mosfets and 3-phase purely resistive load.

As far as I understood everything to this point I can't really fully understand the harmonics and filtering therefore I will give you my opinion and you could hopefully give me feedback:

- Use a Low pass filter [RLC or RC] (Switching frequency is 21(sampling frequency)*50(fundamental frequency) = 1050Hz) to filter the harmonic content in output waveform.

And a questions:
    *Would you be able to provide a really good background reading on basic filter calculations and Harmonics ?

2. ericgibbs

ericgibbs Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

hi Tom,
    This SMPS Ref manual is a good source of info.

Attached Files:

3. jackal_001

jackal_001 New Member

if u know how to use altium designer or PSpice u can see the harmonics there with fft analysis .

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. tom911

tom911 New Member

Thanks for replays however the issue has not been solved.

The problem with the design is that I've been given an output characteristics only which is 2A/100Vrms/50Hz output. With those values I can't design a RC filter with the knowledge I currently have, the fact that harmonics and filtering have been poorly explained and are my weakest subject in all electrical fields, makes every chapter I read even more confusing.

Would be able to provide with an example of how to solve such design characteristics ?
    Should I simulate my design first ?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. alec_t

alec_t Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Google for 'filter design tutorial'.