Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Indicator relay, fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearlyred

I think the indicator relay on my car is playing up as the flashing keeps pausing/stopping and all the bulbs are working.

Have pulled the relay out, just wondering if there's any way i can test things or fix it?

Does anyone know much about these? i can see a small IC on there, which I assume must be a timer, but i dont really have a clue. Would this be the most likely part to fail?

Some pics of the relay here
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Any advice on whether this is fixable and how would be great.

cheers

Check the solder joints where the terminal lugs connect to the PC board. This is where they usually fail. You might have to look with a magnifying glass for very small cracks in the solder. If they are good, check the solder joints at the electrolytic caps. Then check the caps for shorts. If the caps are bad, check the diode. Also check the condition of the relay contacts (they look sorta burnt in the picture). Then check the coil windings. Then buy a new one anyway, because theyre only about 3 bucks!

$3 ? Wow. I'm in New Zealand and was quoted ~$70 NZ for one yesterday, hence me asking if theyre fixable.

Thanks for the ideas, i'll take a look. How do i check for shorts on the cap's? The contacts are a little blackened, is that bad, or can they just be cleaned up?

ta.

You can check electrolytic caps for shorts with an ohmeter. Out of the circuit, they should read around 1-10 megaohm and steadily increase while youre measuring it. This is a crude way, and doesnt check for ESR, capacitance, leaks, etc.

I still think its more likely a cracked solder joint though -- Check the terminal connections closely!

WOW! thats about $53 US! Ive bought whole cars for less than that!

You might want to check the relay contacts. If they are dirty or pitted they won't make good contact , or they may stick together. Also there is a stranded wire going to the movable contact in the relay that may be binding or otherwise comprimised..

I think you have the right idea from the start. There is an IC and we do not know what it is and that might be the problem.

BTW the pictures are really good.

The relay circuit does not look too old (you did not mention the year of the car). So contact connections are probably fine (it is not tin/lead). But you can scuff it up with very light sand paper and see if that helps.

I would file the contacts of the relay like Russlk said. Check the caps with a meter, but bad ones in a lot of cases show leaking or the tops are rounded not flat.

Or again, like Russlk said, call the local salvage yards or stop by. I do that sometime and find fun stuff, so it is not a wasted trip. I am married and have to explain my fun stuff sometimes.

Thanks for all the input guys. Im gonna pull the relay back off the car after work tomorrow and have another look. I'll desolder the caps and test them, and try and clean up the relay contacts.

As far as the IC goes, i highly doubt its going to have a code stamped on it if I manage to get it off, any way to easily test what sort of chip it is? Doubtful right?

The cars a '95 by the way. Will let you know if i have any luck with it.

get a new one perhaps a second hand one or if your smart enough work out how to replace it with something you cna make

Havent had much look with this yet. Have resoldered all the joints and have cleaned the contacts to sparkling. Havent been able to get hold of anything to test the caps with though, (my dmm doesnt do them). Was thinking of maybe just replacing them, but im unsure what they are. They are rated the same 3.3uF 50V but one states it is 85degress c and one is 105degrees c? And as you can see theyre different colours.

I plugged the relay back into the car earlier without its cap on, so i could see what was happening inside. The relay seems to be sticking closed mainly, but sometimes it will close and open but the lights wont blink. I dunno what that means though :)

If you are near Auckland go to pick your part where they have fixed rates for parts you can take of old cars.
There is one in Avondale and Manurewa. Entry fee is $1 and have safety boots on plus overall and your own tools.
12 Volt relays usually go for NZ$2.-- They don't bother weather it is a normal relay or electronic relay.
Regards Raymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back