Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improve range of my entrance gate reciver

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

Hi I have a CODEX Receiver and remote combination as shown here:

**broken link removed**

It utilizes rolling code technology and operates at 433.925 MHz.
It has a piece of wire as an antenna. I don’t know if the antenna was damaged along the way but the range is very poor, like 2 meters.

What can I do to boost my range (not insanely but) within reason (10meters)?

As a first thought I've gathered that the wire antenna is a monopole? and should be approximately 1/4 Wavelengths i.e. 17cm. So I will check that later today. Can I replace this wire with any wire I have laying around? or does it have to be specific gauge wire?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,
StudentSA

I suspect that your problem is that the transmitter is off frequency with respect to the receiver. With these 433MHz modules, there may be no way to tweak one or the other. Are you transmitting through a wall, by any chance?

Remoting the antenna from the receiver box to a better location may help. Where is the receiver?

Last edited:
Hi I have a CODEX Receiver and remote combination as shown here:

**broken link removed**

It utilizes rolling code technology and operates at 433.925 MHz.
It has a piece of wire as an antenna. I don’t know if the antenna was damaged along the way but the range is very poor, like 2 meters.

What can I do to boost my range (not insanely but) within reason (10meters)?

As a first thought I've gathered that the wire antenna is a monopole? and should be approximately 1/4 Wavelengths i.e. 17cm. So I will check that later today. Can I replace this wire with any wire I have laying around? or does it have to be specific gauge wire?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,
StudentSA

You can use any convenient gauge of wire.

Hi, The receiver is located within the guard house affixed onto the wall.

What are the walls made of? How high off the floor? Can you route the lead to a remote antenna outside?

bricks,cerment, plaster and paint... :D
about 1.5m off the floor
Yes the lead can be routed but thats too much work. It should work fine inside only one wall?

bricks,cerment, plaster and paint... :D
about 1.5m off the floor
Yes the lead can be routed but thats too much work. It should work fine inside only one wall?

Nope, try it outside with no walls in the way and see what the range is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back