Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Importance of Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
Transformers perform an indispensable role in power generation and transmission by the power authority.
question>

1.When does it become necessary to provide a transformer say,in a warehouse or sometimes in hotels ,offices like banks etc when the power authority's substation has giant transformers already.What is the importance of transformers in these places when the line voltage can be utilized directly without problems of any kind?

Kwame

I'd say that when high currents can be drawn its best to have local dedicated stepdown transformers much like using sub panels in your house to reduce wiring costs and energy loss due to I*I*R heating.

Even the power to residential areas is brought in at a much higher voltage (and thus lower current) where local neighborhood transformers reduce it to the usual 120V/240V value for transmission to the houses (and then inside the house you likely have numerous transformers that further reduce the voltage for use by various electronic appliances).

As an electrician I use transformers a lot to step up and down to prevent voltage loss at the destination in long runs and also in distribution for malls and commercial units. If I need 120V at the destination and it a long run I may run 48oV to the location and then drop it down to 120 and If I don't have 480 available at the source I can step it up to 480 and then drop it back down. It dosent have to be 480, it could be 240v or 5k depending on the run.
Transformers also provide a little cushion for bumps in power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back