Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC for Mass Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
arvinfx:
For learning sake here is how my project looks on a schematic. (i need to add some more capacitors) but be aware its missing some caps for stability.

Sorry for my absent time, I see u handle my topic ;) Thanks a lot (and another guys) .

Can i use another pic chip on this schematic?! I like pic16f877a :)
And what a but Code? it's a big code or Piece of cake?

Last edited:
It will not fit on that PIC. As is requires 50k minimum. Which is alot. That pic has 14k i think. If i was you i would look into that DosOnChip or the ELM link (FatFs) from above.

I have to finish my tutorial but ill look into it later on.

I can't remember where I heard it, but the DOS on chip had some negative reviews....

I haven't tried this, but it could be quite helpful, and it is free:

How about some details? :D
ADSP-21363
MAX3420E
for the hardware
Visual DSP++ for the software
Docs from USB.ORG
Beagle analyzer from totalphase.com
HxD Hex Editor(freeware) for direct sector access

Last edited:
ADSP-21363
MAX3420E
for the hardware
Visual DSP++ for the software
Docs from USB.ORG
Beagle analyzer from totalphase.com

High end stuff! :D

A scrawny 8bit PIC wouldn't stand a chance against these. I see the visualDSP++ has a three month trial, but the purchase price is out of my league. :p

High end stuff! :D

A scrawny 8bit PIC wouldn't stand a chance against these. I see the visualDSP++ has a three month trial, but the purchase price is out of my league. :p
True enough, but the MAX3420E has an SPI interface which makes it suitable for a wide variety of applications.

8mb is nice but think about it. You still need to make it send the data to a PC with USART/USB. For that you can use SD and have it work on many systems without having to install special software.

EDIT: the price is $8

With $8 you can get a 32MB sd card and the socket and maybe even shipping from dipmicro.

Last edited:
True enough, but the MAX3420E has an SPI interface which makes it suitable for a wide variety of applications.

I didn't DL the data sheet, just took a look at the quick view. I didn't get that the chip operates as a USB host. I'm getting the data sheet now. Thanks for that.

So all one must do is talk to this peripheral with the serial interface, and it takes care of everything else, pretty much. This is good news.:D

To be truthful, I spent more time looking at the powerhouse you are running it with. Nice.:)

8mb is nice but think about it. You still need to make it send the data to a PC with USART/USB. For that you can use SD and have it work on many systems without having to install special software.

EDIT: the price is $8

With $8 you can get a 32MB sd card and the socket and maybe even shipping from dipmicro.
Sure, $8 for 32M, but you still can not plug the thing into a PC and expect to have the PC understand it. It really comes down to what combination of money, time and ability you have...that and what you actually want to do.

So... if you really want to do that and have the money and little ability, buy an FTDI module that can read and write to a thumb drive and talk to it with your precious PIC. Then you can claim the PIC has such marvelous capabilties when in fact the FTDI module is a semicustom chip based on a lowly 8051, that actually is capable of handling the FAT table on a thumb drive, USB to a PC, and a UART to the PIC all at once!

Last edited:
Nice find Futz! I know they are pretty cheap now. Even tho i would choose eeprom or flash memory if it wasnt leaving the board to a pc or data isnt too much and can be displayed on a terminal window nicely. But when its alot of data that needs to be organized and arranged nicely and stuff its good to go SD or at least USB so you can make a custom app faster and have it load data into tables and stuff.

Hey thought id add this:
SparkFun Electronics - ALFATxp LPC2148 FAT IC

Looks nice. And is Small LQFP 64 package. Which to me isnt hard to solder.
VNC1L-1A
is 8051 based and talks directly to any USB mass storage device, though it is meant for thumb drives. It exposes a simple serial interface to the micro for $10.

It has a parallel interface as well but it is buggy as hell, but that was a year or so ago so maybe they fixed it. I do not recall hearing about a problem with the serial interface.

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back