Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need: Parallel Port.. examples and applications..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

hi guys..
i need to connect an external circuit to the parallel port on my PC..
now i need codes for sending/recieving data through this port.. i couldnt find any good codes.. all what i could find was describtion how the port works and the registers of it. I want CODE examples and applications of circuit i can connect and use my parallel port in it. wer i can find that???

PS: is it true that i shouldnt directly connect anything to the port directly? becoz if the port got damaged i will need to change the whole motherboard?? what things can damage the port???

thanx

sonaiko said:
hi guys..
i need to connect an external circuit to the parallel port on my PC..
now i need codes for sending/recieving data through this port.. i couldnt find any good codes.. all what i could find was describtion how the port works and the registers of it. I want CODE examples and applications of circuit i can connect and use my parallel port in it. wer i can find that???

What OS are you using?. If it's an NT based one, you can't access the port directly, you must use a device driver. You can download the one I use from my PicProgrammer website - it comes with examples in various languages.

PS: is it true that i shouldnt directly connect anything to the port directly? becoz if the port got damaged i will need to change the whole motherboard?? what things can damage the port???

Shorting it out, or applying more than TTL type signals. It's fairly easy to damage a parallel port, and as you say, on modern integrating boards it then requires a new motherboard.

If you're no confident about it, and can't afford to replace the board, it's probably as well not to go that route!.

What are you wanting to do anyway?.

im a bit still new to the stuff.. i dont wanna do smthng specific in the mean time as much as i want to learn that is why im afraid to damage my board. what precautions i should bear in my mind so i wont damage the port?

I use the XP. i heard about the driver and i dloaded it.
But i really want some cool applications i can make [like cool external circuits using the parallel port] so i can learn and have fun also.

I couldnt find any good examples. i will try the site ur refering. do u know any other sites?

is it true that i shouldnt directly connect anything to the port directly?
No.

what things can damage the port
Sending voltage to inputs and outputs may damage them. The ports are not to have voltage sent to them!

*You dont send voltage to the inputs. There is already voltage at the inputs. You must earth the inputs for them to trigger.

*The outputs send voltage out, so it would be stupid to send voltage into the output port.

I don't think you can damage the port, unless you do something very stupid.

I've earthed out the outputs accidentlty many times, but no damage has ever been done.
I'm guessing the outputs have resistors inside to limit damaging current.

Thats my experience .
I programe my port with QBASIC codes.

You don't say which language codes you are after?

ps. don't blam me if you blow up your port , because some guy thinks, you can't damage the port.

Thanx. i can handle any language C/C++/VB/VC++ or even Assembly.
That is why i wanted some complete examples so i can know what to do and what not to do...
i cant find smthng on the net :cry:

hai i think for parallel port function there is on executable file i founded while winpic programmer by name nt95.exe somthing like this will find on google search is port driver by linuxforum i think may be useful for you
vijaya

You can find inpout32.DLL with code examples at:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
All of these have to be in Project\ Settings\ link\ object/library modules:
kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib
shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib inpout32.lib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back