Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have not built a TC in 20 years, how does this 1 work?

No one here? You all must have gotten fatally electrocuted to death. :oops:

I see there is a very limited number of faces to click on but no laughing. :confused:

OH no, there is no Tesla face. :arghh:

LOL

Link in first post requires sign up

Maybe that explains no takers?

What does "TC" mean? - guessing at Tesla Coil?

Last edited:
Look at the root URL where you got pic from, possibly start there....

Regards, Dana.

I built several TCs 20 years ago the largest 1 makes a 27 ft circle of sparks. The attached video is different not sure what makes it work. I ask the builder he said he has no circuit drawing this his.
tc10-4.jpg

I like this, I want 1. Anyone have circuit drawing I am interested in how this works?

It’s all about the spark gap. I’ve seen a kit that wasn’t very expensive, pretty sure it’s under 1 comma in cost but it’s effective distance is only 16 feet and that’s a full 20 amp circuit at 80% because it’s 1,000 watts per foot. The real question is what’s it gonna power up and how do you receive it in the device? If the coil just energized everything then how does it regulate voltage. There is a full scale system south of Dallas that I’ve driven by multiple times but I’ve never seen it activated. Clearly it’s a tower with a receiver though. It’s on 35 right before it splits east and west if you want to google map it.

Photo #1 shows about a 500W transformer , a ball emitter for more current than a thin wire with a torroid shield, a 1 meter gap to vertical ground wires suspended to pails of water? with return path to unit. It's all about the energy stored in the cap that is discharged by slightly curved bar electrodes gapped for 3kV/mm to drive the very low DCR primary plumbing copper which drives the auto transformer secondary with low capacitance windings. If the arc is ~ 1 to 10 microseconds every second then the power could transformed by the time ratio of > 1e5~6:1 times discharged energy in watt-seconds. Thus derating 50% 250 MW impulses could be DNA altering at near field.o_O
The time constant depends on the primary coil L/DCR ratio including spark gap which is more than your average spark plug. With continuous arc the holding current limits the cutoff and the current of the discharge. Use transformer formula with low mutual coupling.

The white HV caps could be Tx-oil filled from a 15 kV rectifier arranged as a tripler or quad with a platform containing a radial Marx generator with RC spark gaps equally tuned multiplier as the mid-platform is raised with almost 1ft of insulation and fed with a long > 100W 1~10Meg power resistor.
1710104446469.png

Last edited:
The transformer is 240 vac 60 amp primary, 14,000. volt secondary.

There are 2 toroid inductors 30 turns each on both 14,000. volt wires from the AC transformer. Toroids are 2" diameter each This prevents 200KHz from getting into the 60Hz transformer.

The 3 oil filled caps are .01 uf each rated 35,000. volts each.

Secondary is 1 to 5 ratio with 950 turns of enamel coated copper wire.

The PVC pipe for the secondary is 11.5 inch outside diameter.

11.5" x 5 = 57.5" long secondary with 950 turns.

Do the math to learn which wire diameter to use to get 950 turns.

The variable speed vacuum fan spark gap has 9 gaps, .030" each gap with 3/4" copper tubing 2" long each. Turn the variac to dial in motor speed for maximum length arcs. Spark gaps can be switched to, 8, 7, gaps what every works best for your circuit. The high speed fan keeps the spark gap cool. If spark gap over heats the output arcs become very short.

The C shape strike rail is 1" above the primary. You need a 3" cap in the C with a wire to earth ground.

GAP1.jpg
GAP2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back