Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make natural control arm..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

Hi all,

I want to start building the arm for ROBOT....!!
as in this video.
I have read many tutorial they explain working pot are used at joint to convert the movement into analog then to serial..!!
Please suggest the ADC Chip to be use for it whether serial or parallel then convert to PWM for Servo motors.

Thanks.

Hi all,

as in this video.
I have read many tutorial they explain working pot are used at joint to convert the movement into analog then to serial..!!
Please suggest the ADC Chip to be use for it whether serial or parallel then convert to PWM for Servo motors.

Thanks.

hi,
Looking at the video, I see at least 3 to 4 pots at the arm joints,, you could consider a PIC, most have 4 inputs that can be configured as 10 bit ADC, also they have PWM.

16F877A or 16F887 would be a starting point.

hi,
Looking at the video, I see at least 3 to 4 pots at the arm joints,, you could consider a PIC, most have 4 inputs that can be configured as 10 bit ADC, also they have PWM.

16F877A or 16F887 would be a starting point.

Hi again,
The arm has been completed with servo the degree of freedom is 3 or 4...
UI have no idea of PIC please tell me how to do??

Hi again,
The arm has been completed with servo the degree of freedom is 3 or 4...
UI have no idea of PIC please tell me how to do??

hi Ritesh,
What you are asking is unrealistic for me to explain all the details required for creating the programs for this project, you need to understand PIC programming.

What are are your programming skills and do you have all the required development and programming hardware.?

Hi,

I think we require **broken link removed**..!

**broken link removed**..( I am online in chat can come there?

Last edited:
hi,
You need to learn programming of the PIC, if you want to write the program for this project, its not going to be an easy or quick task.

Decide which programming language to want to learn and use, you will also need a suitable programmer to write the final program into the PIC.

There are free versions of C compilers and Assemblers available on the microchip website.

Last edited:
Can we make that programmer at home?
I will like to start it with basic program blinking LED and Assembly Lang will be fine (i think)

Can we make that programmer at home?
I will like to start it with basic program blinking LED and Assembly Lang will be fine (i think)

hi,
Yes you can make a prommer OK, dont use the JDM design that uses the power from the PC's serial port.

Look at Nigels Tutorial pages, build a PC parallel port prommer [ if your PC has a printer port] and use Nigels programming program.

There are lots of prommer circuits on the web, make sure you also get the PC software to suit the prommer and check it will work with the PIC type you choose.

Nigels link is near my signature on this post.

Dont you already have a controler for this robot. What are you starting with?

Before I forget, these forums do have a very nice and useful Robotics & Mechatronics section where all this may have fared better.

My take on this is pretty simple. If you want to build a robot that actually does something you start with a nice clean white piece of paper. You do not start with a pile of parts like motors and other assorted hardware and then worry about how to make it all come together.

You also choose the controller which could be a small micro controller or a small brick computer. All of that is done well in advance. The controller is the heart of the system. The controller receives inputs from a collection of sensors and based on those inputs makes decisions on what hardware does what. If your robot has thermal and other sensors and it is proceeding into a forest fire it would be wise to have the programming code turn the thing around before it becomes a crispy critter.

There are countless tutorials out there on how to build an arm, however, before building it, you need to design it and that includes all the hardware. The controller for the entire robot system should have been chosen long before you worry about a hardware arm.

This is also obviously a school project. While nobody here has a problem helping and giving advice you have to present some ideas of your own on how this should all go together and be controlled. Saying an arm controlled by a uC is not a good start.

Ron

Hi all,

as in this video.

Thanks.
To build such an arm you need a uC that has enough A/D channels to read the potentiometers and enough PWM channels (or output ports time processing power needed per port) to control those sevos. Should be a breeze to program it. Use such family that allows you to do this and which you´re familiar with.

Last edited:
We are going to do hert surgry. Or brn surgry, not shur yet. Can tell us how? By next week?
With a gun witch is how I feel some times.
The Op started asking questoins about making this robot a long time ago and its been a downward spiral ever since.
I think he may be in over his head. But I keep trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back