Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW to get Free Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 yrs ago after my son graduated from computer tech college we were on our computer in the same room a pop up came on his monitor, he pushed a few keys a box opened, he pushed a few keys, typed something, pushed a key and push enter. He did that all very fast within 20 seconds. I said, what did you just do? He said, I clicked a code that made them show me where that pop up originated from, I copied the location, I made a virus smaller than 16 bit and sent it to them. I asked him more questions answers were. Firewall and other programs cannot block something smaller than 16 bit. Virus was basically 9 to infinite power. It may take 2 weeks but virus will totally fill every empty space of their HD and their computer will stop working. LOL. I thought that was so funny. I wonder if that still works. I need to talk to my son about a wifi antenna we might make this work.

$16.00 from China. BangGood
https://www.banggood.com/Yagi-2_4GH...or-p-84566.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
have not tried it.
upload_2018-4-5_20-4-30.png

My take on this "using someone else's wifi" is pretty simple.
My neighbors all pay for their wifi, just as I do.
I don't try to steal from my neighbors and AFAIK they don't try to steal from me.
Any other establishment I visit where free wifi is offered is, as far as I am concerned, provided solely as a courtesy for the duration of my business transaction with them.
As I walk out the door, my business with them is done, and I am no longer 'entitled' to use their free services.
Just because I bought a hamburger last week and still have the wifi password from the local Mickey-D's does not give me the right to take the piss.
There's no grey area in this from my viewpoint - once your business with that company is done, the freebies end.
Anything else is stealing.

My 0.02.

Some time ago I was in the process of switching internet providers and I was without internet for several weeks. I needed access to my emails and whatnot for work so I checked to see what other networks were available in my house. Now, I live in a rural area but my next door neighbor (whose house was a few hundred feet away) had an unsecured wifi connection. Unfortunately the little USB dongle I had couldn't quite pick up enough signal for it to be useful. I ended up making a USB extender and threw together a directional antenna out of materials from the recycling bin. After doing that I was able to direct the incoming signals straight onto the dongle which was mounted inside the antenna. Using the plastic-and-foil antenna I was able to access my emails with little trouble.

Still no match for having a high-speed wifi connection in your living room though....

I use almost free internet. No wifi, no optical fiber, no landline. I just use around US$1.5 per month for cellphone internet.

Some time ago I was in the process of switching internet providers and I was without internet for several weeks. I needed access to my emails and whatnot for work so I checked to see what other networks were available in my house. Now, I live in a rural area but my next door neighbor (whose house was a few hundred feet away) had an unsecured wifi connection. Unfortunately the little USB dongle I had couldn't quite pick up enough signal for it to be useful. I ended up making a USB extender and threw together a directional antenna out of materials from the recycling bin. After doing that I was able to direct the incoming signals straight onto the dongle which was mounted inside the antenna. Using the plastic-and-foil antenna I was able to access my emails with little trouble.

Still no match for having a high-speed wifi connection in your living room though....

That was basically what I used to do when I had to piggy back of my brother to get high speed internet. When his link went down I would just target another neighbor and I was good to go even if it was a neighbor in the new housing development a mile plus out! 100 - 200K download speeds at 1+ miles ain't nothing to complain about when it's free and you have all the time in the world and they had kids that could take the blame for high bandwidth usage at odd hours! :p

I use almost free internet. No wifi, no optical fiber, no landline. I just use around US$1.5 per month for cellphone internet.
That is another option I use. I went from Unlimited to 4 GB a month with carry over. I have a little MiFi box so when I travel I frequently use that. When at home, everything, including cell phones work on our home network, so I always have about 8 GB of bandwidth on the Verizon lines.

Ron

Hi can someone explain how the system in the states works regarding the internet?

Here in the UK the main system is as follows.......

most landline phone companies put a router on your phone connection and supply you internet, roughly you pay to rent the phone line, any calls you make (some are free or special prices etc but dosnt matter foe this), and you pay from around £25 a month to use upto a max amount of internet data.

I dont know the figures for the phone service like this, we have never had a home landline. So we have never had pone internet(actually we have but i was too young to remember it). Then like Willen you mobile phone internet, this is often really expensive.

You but a phone and your given a few GB per month of internet to use on your phone, mainly these days you cant connect pc's to your mobile phone or what is called wireless tethering. Once you used all your internet data then you start to pay a premium for every meg of data you go over.

My system is totally different, it does not actually exist anymore, sure one day i am going to wake up and no mobile phone or internet! About 6 years ago my dad took a really expensive mobile phone contract out, it was expensive because it included what at the time was one the best and newest smart phones ever. The phone was a samsung galaxay note II, it runs KIT KAT 1.1!.

The contract was 2 years, but the phone had pc tethering built into the phone software. The phone plan gave you the Note II phone, 5000 mins any phone talk mins, 10,000 txt's and 500 UNLIMITED internet data and 500 3 to 3 phone mins.
3 to 3 phone mins roll over every month, what they are talk mins to any other phone on the 3 network (the network this phone is phone is on). Most people use other companies but my family and some my mates use 3, so when i call them the mins are taken from my 3 to 3 mins first, any left each month roll over and add on to the next month.

This phone plan was called the one plan, i think it finally finished back in 2014 or 2015, the 2 year contract ended around 2014. This meant instead of paying £75 a month (£45 was for the phone handset!!) the bill dropped to around £30 a month. But there is a little legal thing on the account.

My mum was the person who signed on behalf of the company when they took all 4 of the phones on contract, 2 have gone and 2 are left, i inherited my dads. my mum pays it out of her account and i give her the money, its no longer under contract. Now the legal bit.......

They over charged for 5 months for the handset after the that part of the contract ended, but on the one plan contract itself it states the following..........

Once the contract expires 3 will continue to honor the contract as long as you want to have it, as long as you pay the correct amount in full. Its actually more legal than that, but keep it simple. While its still inside the contract time frame they can alter the amount you pay per month by giving you 60 days notice.
Now that is how we have kept the phone on the same plan for the same price for 6 years, we pay the bill and the contract states that means we continue to get service, but they dont offer eat all you like data anymore, but they cant change it or charge more because the contract says they can do that only while we are under contract which we are not. We are under what is called a rolling contract. They cant block me from tethering any number of computers to my phone data line because my phone software is too old!

I use Kit Kat and there system cant control my phone because KIT KAT 1.1 was made as a secure encrypted OS. :D. My monthly usage on data is roughly 3TB a month.......Yeah they call and ask us to change to a new plan and tell us they no longer do ours, yes they moan, but as i point out to them. We have kept our side of the deal always and expect them to do the same...

Here in Aus I pay <US$50 per month for landline, mobile and FTTB internet. All calls free and unlimited data at around 50Mb download speed - I can download a 1G file in about two minutes. (FTTB = fibre to the building)

Mike.

Last edited:
prices for internet connections have dropped a lot in the last few years, so there's really no reason to steal connections. if there's a nearby business with an open connection, and their throughput goes up mysteriously, it's only a matter of time before they hire somebody like me to come in and check the integrity of their network. don't be surprised if suddenly the wifi connection is on only during business hours, or your mac address gets blocked, or a password is required to use the connection. if you live in a city that's a big college town, you may be able to find wifi mesh networks that are set up specifically to provide free internet (or nearly free if they take donations to keep the mesh operating). the only problem with such a network is there will be times when the data slows down a lot, because the mesh only has one or two actual connections to the internet. if you have an amateur radio license, there are free mesh neworks that operate outside the normal wifi band, and the routers can operate on several watts (instead of the normal 100mW). amateur radio mesh networks are not allowed to use encryption (except https protocol while surfing the web, or TLS for email). but you do need to be licensed to operate in that portion of the spectrum.

Hi can someone explain how the system in the states works regarding the internet?
There are a number of options, each one is different from the next. The option I use costs about $36/month for internet alone (no phone service). It's DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) that connects to the internet over the phone lines. There is no data cap, but my speed is only around 1.8Mb/s download. I could pay more for faster service if I needed it.

Our internet service of off again yesterday for about 2 hours. I wonder if companies save money by turning customer off for a while. People that go camping have a thing that looks like a memory stick that plugs into their computer for internet. Camp grounds often have no phone service either they are too far from town to have service. I was told that plug in thing are satellite internet. We had no internet last summer for a month I went to the public library 3 or 4 times to use their free computers. I can take my laptop to a restaurant. I did not need internet 40 years ago why do I need it now, it sure is handy to look up data on mosfets, diodes, order parts, etc. I have a friend that lives in Dominican Republic they only have electricity 4 hours every day, limited internet, limited phone service, refrigerator gets cold again with 4 hrs of electricity, he has car batteries that he charges 4 hours every day to run a DC to AC inverter. I would like to have my internet bill 90% cheaper to have service only 2 hours a day.

Our internet service of off again yesterday for about 2 hours. I wonder if companies save money by turning customer off for a while. People that go camping have a thing that looks like a memory stick that plugs into their computer for internet. Camp grounds often have no phone service either they are too far from town to have service. I was told that plug in thing are satellite internet. We had no internet last summer for a month I went to the public library 3 or 4 times to use their free computers. I can take my laptop to a restaurant. I did not need internet 40 years ago why do I need it now, it sure is handy to look up data on mosfets, diodes, order parts, etc. I have a friend that lives in Dominican Republic they only have electricity 4 hours every day, limited internet, limited phone service, refrigerator gets cold again with 4 hrs of electricity, he has car batteries that he charges 4 hours every day to run a DC to AC inverter. I would like to have my internet bill 90% cheaper to have service only 2 hours a day.
Some of those mem stick things are mobile phone internet dongles, i had one a while back, the odd thing was my phone could have no signal, but as long as it said emergency calls only, then i could get the internet.

I got mine with a laptop bundle, it didnt last long. I dont think true satalight ones exists but honestly i dont know and the lag i would expect to be awful.

MATT DSL is the major player here, or was. I think Virgin are based more on your cable TV type system, seeing how lomg you guys have had that TV its odd its never really taken off here AFAIK

Some of those mem stick things are mobile phone internet dongles, i had one a while back, the odd thing was my phone could have no signal, but as long as it said emergency calls only, then i could get the internet.

As far as I'm aware they are all mobile phone ones, satellite ones don't exist (at least not as tiny dongles).

MATT DSL is the major player here, or was. I think Virgin are based more on your cable TV type system, seeing how lomg you guys have had that TV its odd its never really taken off here AFAIK

Cable has never taken off here because it's not a very viable system, it's the most expensive way to provide broadcast TV, so can't compete on price with terrestrial and satellite. Also basically cable only tends to be available in major areas, cities or large towns, elsewhere you're stuffed as it's not cost effective at all. Even in Virgin Cable supported areas, they tend not to connect any new streets as the returns aren't enough for the outlay. Cable here has had a chequered history, where I used to used to work ran two small analogue cable systems, to provide TV for their customers - due to poor terrestrial reception - it was EXTREMELY hard work to keep maintained as it was a valve system. There were many such small systems, plus a few major ones like Redifusion, but a number of years ago the government offered cable licences for sale, and an array of different companies bid for the licences, and installed cable system - as was pretty obvious these all 'failed', none made any money (and had HUGE debts), Virgin Cable came along and swallowed them all up, and still have HUGE debts as well.

Nigel my comment on dongles was about the mobile phone ones V the ones that simply pick up a wifi signal. I also doubt they could do one for sat-alights that small, except...... If you look at the TOM TOM GPS systems, they are pretty small now, so if the next gen of TV junk into space was capable, maybe one day it wouldnt be too far off.

Personally i dont like the mobile phone dongles, i have had three that came with laptops. All of them died within 4-6 months. I use 3G on a good day and H+ on a bad day, I used 4G a few months back while away, i saw little difference between 3G and 4G speed wise. I think in the end your machine becomes the bottleneck. There is a house we are looking at moving too in England, it says it has 150meg broad band, But surely downloads ultimately are limited by disk write speed and buffers.

Nigel my comment on dongles was about the mobile phone ones V the ones that simply pick up a wifi signal. I also doubt they could do one for sat-alights that small, except...... If you look at the TOM TOM GPS systems, they are pretty small now, so if the next gen of TV junk into space was capable, maybe one day it wouldnt be too far off.

I was talking about mobile phone ones as well, a WiFi 'card' is a completely different device and useless for getting your own Internet. GPS has nothing to do with satellite Internet, and as it's not geo-stationary (by a LONG way), it's not really suitable for such use. The problem with satellite Internet is basically lack of bandwidth, it's relatively limited and can't easily be increased (other than by launching extra satellites) - if you get in early you get really good speeds, but as more users sign up you're all sharing the same fixed bandwidth so it slows down a lot.

I was talking about mobile phone ones as well, a WiFi 'card' is a completely different device and useless for getting your own Internet. GPS has nothing to do with satellite Internet, and as it's not geo-stationary (by a LONG way), it's not really suitable for such use. The problem with satellite Internet is basically lack of bandwidth, it's relatively limited and can't easily be increased (other than by launching extra satellites) - if you get in early you get really good speeds, but as more users sign up you're all sharing the same fixed bandwidth so it slows down a lot.

Along those lines I use a little JetPack through my cellular carrier:
"MobileBurn.com - The Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4620L by Novatel Wireless is a portable 3G/4G mobile hotspot that allows up to 10 Wi-Fi devices to share its high-speed internet connection. ... Its battery is good for 4 hours of use, and it gets really good LTE data speeds on less than perfect signals". The battery charges pretty fast and I can maintain it using a USB port on the laptop. It is wireless though.
JetPack, MiFi ,MyFi all amount to the same thing, they are mobile "hot spots" having their own cellular phone numbers,much like my tablet has its own cellular phone number. I use it primarily when I travel with my laptop since my phone and tablet connect on their own. On a few occasions when we lost cable internet service at the house the little JetPack came in handy. Works for me.

Ron

I must admit I've often considered buying something similar, as I've seen them in the shops:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/phon...three-pay-as-you-go-3g-mifi-10023991-pdt.html

However, the high cost of their use has put me off.
I can relate to that. On the last renew of our cellular plan I did a few changes and the new plan with the same carrier included the new JetPack as well as two (Myself and my wife) tablets for $10 US each. I was good with that. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back