Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert 0.5 watts to 80watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusin79

sorry but can anyone tell me how to convert 0.5 watts to 8 watts?

if i have a 80 watts power coming into my item...which is running at 16V and 4.3A....is it possible to power up? or is there anyway to power up my item using from a 0.5 watts source?

Thanks alot if you can help.

Thanks everyone for looking :)

This question does not make sense.

What are you trying to increase the power of?

16 volts and 4.3 Amps is 68.8 watts not 80 watts.

What are you trying to do?

JimB

sorry what i am trying to say is that how to convert 0.5 watts to 80 watts which is able to sense and give the correct watts rating for the item up to 80 watts

so in this case how to convert 0.5 watts to 68.8 watts

is there anyway that i can do it by using only a 0.5 watts supply?
Thanks

If you try to power up a device that uses 80W from a power source that provides only a puny 0.5W then the power source will curl-up and die.
Have you ever tried pulling a crowded bus from your bicycle? Same thing. :lol:
Use an 80W (68.8W?) power source.

yusin79 said:
sorry but can anyone tell me how to convert 0.5 watts to 8 watts?

if i have a 80 watts power coming into my item...which is running at 16V and 4.3A....is it possible to power up? or is there anyway to power up my item using from a 0.5 watts source?

Thanks alot if you can help.

Thanks everyone for looking :)

How do you get 80 watts from 16V and 4.3A?

Because you provided almost no info, all I can say is memorize this formula:

Power (in watts) equals current (in amps) multiplied by voltage (obviously in volts).

P = V * I

I think the easiest way to answer your question is to connect a voltage source, a potentiometer, and an ammeter in series. Multiply the value on the ammeter by the voltage to get the power in watts. Make sure your ammeter is set to read amps, not milliamps.

mstechca said:
I think the easiest way to answer your question is to connect a voltage source, a potentiometer, and an ammeter in series.
What's the potentiometer for? Sending smoke signals?

You might be able to put 4.3mA through a volume control, but certainly not 4.3A.

that doesnt really make sense...its kinda like trying to make a power plant that is only capable of putting out 100 Megawatts to put out 200 megawatts.
for a power source to put out 80watts, it has to be capable of 80 (or more) watts

or am I mistaken?

Hi Jeff,
His original power source is rated for 80W and his load uses 16V at 4.3A (68.8W).

He wants to know how to power his load from a supply that is rated for only 0.5W, which is about 138 times too small.

Absolutely impossible, isn't it? He needs an awful lot of majic to do the trick. :lol:

It wod be cool to be able to thurn 0,5W to 80W.For this you wod need an eficency over 100% But this is imposible.

You cant make energy and you cant destroy it you can only convert it.

:lol:
what you need is a perpetuum mobile first class
this is a machine which produce more energy than receive
of course if real only in your dreams

The is one nice infalible law of physics: the concervation of energy

ie what goes in MUST come out

you cannot have a power amplifier in the literal sense because that would require the spontanious creation of new energy and that is not possible (as we know it)

I have a feeling that is not what you mean and a bit more clarification is required on what you require

Styx said:
I have a feeling that is not what you mean and a bit more clarification is required on what you require
Me too.
Can you imagine a 16VDC wall-wart rated at only 0.5W? Only 31mA.
Maybe he wants to power his load with a little solar cell.

If such an thing wod be posible you cod run an full size electric car for miles of an 9V batery.Wich wod be cool but its imposible.

The same amount of energy that goes in comes out.Not a tini bit les or more.Some of the energy is converted in usles forms like an light bulb that is making the useful light and useles heat.If you add this up you get the same amount of energy you drove in the light bulb.

But it is posibe to covert curent and voltage.It is posibe so trun vots in to amps and the other way.

If a transformer is 100% eficent(Imposibe in realety) if you drive in 100V at 1 A you can get out 10V at 10A.

This is just wrong in the laws of phisics.

Someone Electro said:
If such an thing wod be posible you cod run an full size electric car for miles of an 9V batery.Wich wod be cool but its imposible.

The same amount of energy that goes in comes out.Not a tini bit les or more.Some of the energy is converted in usles forms like an light bulb that is making the useful light and useles heat.If you add this up you get the same amount of energy you drove in the light bulb.

But it is posibe to covert curent and voltage.It is posibe so trun vots in to amps and the other way.

If a transformer is 100% eficent(Imposibe in realety) if you drive in 100V at 1 A you can get out 10V at 10A.

This is just wrong in the laws of phisics.

so not what I said?

Slightly off topic, but you know we were discussing newton's law of universal gravitation today. Say you had a massive object in space and a relatively insignificant mass. Wouldn't the resultant gravitation force between the two be a violation of the laws of conservation of energy, of sorts? No input force, but yet a resultant. A super efficient system?

dimensionfx said:
Slightly off topic, but you know we were discussing newton's law of universal gravitation today. Say you had a massive object in space and a relatively insignificant mass. Wouldn't the resultant gravitation force between the two be a violation of the laws of conservation of energy, of sorts? No input force, but yet a resultant. A super efficient system?

NO violation.

The small mass has potential energy relative to the large mass. Work was done through the G field to seperate them to begin with. When the small mass falls toward the large one, potential energy is converted to kinetic & heat until they collide where the remaining energy is expended in heat, light, sound etc... energy balances.

Think space shuttle. Gobs of energy expended to lift it into orbit (rockets performing work). When it comes down all of it is converted back into heat & kinetic energy coming through the atmosphere until there is very little energy remaining and it's safe to land.

quoting you styx: 'nothing is impossible, when a problem is realised the rest is just details'...
well we've realised a problem here SO let's solve it!!
just kidding anyway. unless your device would get extra energy from somewhere i don't see how that's possible.

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
quoting you styx: 'nothing is impossible, when a problem is realised the rest is just details'...
well we've realised a problem here SO let's solve it!!
just kidding anyway. unless your device would get extra energy from somewhere i don't see how that's possible.

you may laugh but it is still possible (and thus satisfying my quote ;) )

If the input 0.5W was used to control the flow from a White Hole

Then you would have the "so called" creation of new energy.
You owuld however, need to box a white hole as well as control it, but thats just details ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back