Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does ETO maintain the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a website like this that gets a descent amount of traffic i'm sure how do the owners keep it up and running without an ad revenue or revenue from the website?

With a website like this that gets a descent amount of traffic i'm sure how do the owners keep it up and running without an ad revenue or revenue from the website?

There are ads on this website, but we as members have the privilege of not having to see them. Also, this site is owned by a much larger company with many other forms of revenue. I don't claim to know much about the system, but I suggest looking up WTWH Media if you want more information about the company.

This type of web site is based on public software, which pretty much lets the site run itself. It also depends on volunteers (moderators) to review the content and maintain adherence to the ToS, terms of service, which are the rules that you and I agreed to in order to enjoy the site.

I'll chime in here - as DerStrom8 mentioned there is advertising revenue from the site and although we tend to favor open source where we can, our hosting costs are very high to maintain a high quality of service and uptime. We are not actually that large of a company and have minimal IT help so we also opt for managed servers + some level of cloud services. But most important to djsfantasi's comment - ETO is dependent on moderators to keep the content on target /quality high on the site that then creates a win for all. Our goal is to create great resources for engineers and professionals across all our channels, so helpful user input with moderator support is more than appreciated here.

I'll chime in here - as DerStrom8 mentioned there is advertising revenue from the site and although we tend to favor open source where we can, our hosting costs are very high to maintain a high quality of service and uptime. We are not actually that large of a company and have minimal IT help so we also opt for managed servers + some level of cloud services. But most important to djsfantasi's comment - ETO is dependent on moderators to keep the content on target /quality high on the site that then creates a win for all. Our goal is to create great resources for engineers and professionals across all our channels, so helpful user input with moderator support is more than appreciated here.

This is good to see and read from you guys in charge of the bigger picture :)
Thanks for being so honest about things.

I've toned down my stuff. Used to be Political. Not anymore.

Nobody forced me. My own decision :)

That is the gentle way of handling someone like me...I cant explain it. It phew requires I dunno...Teamwork?
So me I'm here still with my strong views about Politics in South Africa.
I just don't talk about it anymore on ETO

You Guys are doing things subtly and very, very well.

God Bless you all cause you make a great team :cool:

tv

PS: I read all Aimee's articles. She a solid base of tech info. Hi Aimee :)

Last edited:
We are not actually that large of a company and have minimal IT help so we also opt for managed servers + some level of cloud services.

What is a managed server precisely? Sorry if a stupid question.

Wiki has a writeup that begins like
Managed dedicated server is a service that includes the hardware, software, and ongoing upkeep of a dedicated server.The dedicated server industry often bundles additional services and products with the servers to provide a deeper level of management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back