Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade Ultrasonic humidifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

spheris

Hy everybody,

For my project of domotic into home, I look for an humidifier solution.
Personaly, i want to make a ultrasonic solution. but I have no idea where I start.

My domotic project page using Gambas 2 and linux here :
**broken link removed**

My question is :
What is frequence to explode water into bubles ?
For a 400m3, how many piezzo or tranducer should to use ?
Thanks for your answer !
bye

Maybe you are using pure distilled water?
My drinking water has limestone, calcium (from fish bones?) and other minerals in it. If i use it in an ultrasonic humidifier then everything gets covered with a white powder.
The humidity will destroy window and door frames in winter.

Today (it is still winter) , the humidity in my home is 36% which is comfortable and I do not have a humidifier. In summer, my dehumidifier reduces humidity when it exceeds 45%.

I put an osmoser to remove nitrate, bacteria and other.
it is recommended to have beetween 30 and 50% at home.
I live in France and humidity is beetween 28% and 60%. I want to regulate this.
But the problem is not 'Regulate or not regulate' but how to make an humidifier ;)
thanks audioguru
hello from France to the Canada ! :D
;)

Another solution ?

Last edited:
Generally they run at about 1.7 to around 2.4 MHz as a frequency. You may want to focus on 1.7 MHz. As to how much humidity for an area? Sorry I can't be of any help.

Ron

In Canada we use a shower to clean ourselves. It sprays humidity around the house.
Maybe in France you use a bathtub instead? (Or you stay dirty all winter?)

In Canada we cook soups and other foods in the house. Their steam is humidity.
Maybe in France you go out to eat at restaurants all the time instead of cooking?

In Canada our houses are sealed to prevent heat to escape which also holds humidity inside in Winter.
Maybe in France in winter the dry air outside comes into your house?

Hi spheris,

I purchased a device made for aquariums to generate cold mist to be used as humidifier in an incubator.

(Its purpose is to generate fog over the rims of a fish basin with a LED circuit around causing psychedelic light effects with the fog.)

My water contains a lot of lime, but there won't be any lime deposit on the bowl after several weeks of usage.

I also don't care for the frequency it uses, but I imagine it must be awfully high since no vibrations are being felt touching the generator in action. That little device seems to consume quite some power since the power supply is rated 24VAC/2A.

Canada is another area on the globe, where physical laws must be different at times.

Anyway, healthy breathing air normally contains 50 to 70% RH.

Your air in France should meet those criteria without artificial humidification.

I was in France (Paris, Lyon and Pau) very often during my military service time and never had reason to believe that the air in France is unhealthy. :)

Boncuk

Last edited:
Generally they run at about 1.7 to around 2.4 MHz as a frequency. You may want to focus on 1.7 MHz. As to how much humidity for an area? Sorry I can't be of any help.
Thanks for this answer. Is NE555 have capacity to generate this frequence ?
Some posts in electronics forums talk about 25 to 40khz to explode water into bubles, Is it correct ?

audioguru,
In Canada, is there a lot of stranges peoples as you or you're an exception ??? :D

Boncuk,
I live next geneva in France in alps mountains and humidity is correct. But inside home, I've electric heater. During winter, huimidity fall down to 28%.
That's why I want a technical solution. For the moment, I use a water glass on the heater.

Some posts in electronics forums talk about 25 to 40khz to explode water into bubles, Is it correct ?
You may be able to START at that frequency, it's pretty unusable for volume though, I just did some research on this via Google last week and most modern humidifiers use piezo modules with 1.7mhz transducers in the 10-20watt range

You could more than likely purchase a proper humidifier for less cost than the circuit and transducer to make your own. There are plenty of other more conventional methods for humidification the water glass on the heaters is one, though try an aluminum container instead.

My house has a humidifier installed which has a simple timer module that trickles a small amount of water down a grid that's in the forced air system. You could easily replicate this using a damp towel and a fan, or a sponge floating in a pan of water with a small fan aimed at it.

They key to any heat/humidity regulation system is airflow, if air isn't moving and circulating through the entire area it's not possible to regulate it. The first thing to do to maintain temperature/humidity is to make sure this air mixing is occurring.

That's why electric heat is so bad, the only air flow that occurs is through convection heating in the room, there is little to no inter room mixing, so without that air mixing in the first place you're dead in the water =) (or in this case dead without enough water =>)

Last edited:
audioguru,
In Canada, is there a lot of stranges peoples as you or you're an exception ???
Why do you think I am strange?
22% of Canadians speak, read and write French and they are very strange. Many foreign immigrants are also strange.
I learned some French in school but I never lived where the French people live so I don't know the French language anymore.
BONJOUR!

They have a large one of these units at the Great Lakes Science Center here in Cleveland. I enjoy taking the grandchildren there and my granddaughter (age 7 then) for some reason really likes that thing. The kids drag their hands through the fog like mist. Funny as I knew what it was, I knew what it does but never gave any thought to the transducers or their frequency.

Here in Cleveland, Ohio USA the winters are dry but not all that bad. I never give the humidity in the house much thought. Long as when it is cold and dry outside I am enjoying my creature comfort I could care less.

Anyway, I would start with about 1.7 MHz.

Ron

AG, if you divide the entire world up statistically there are is a vast variety of possibilities, but not all possibilities exist.

AG, if you divide the entire world up statistically there are is a vast variety of possibilities, but not all possibilities exist.

That was pretty profound. I must ponder that.... :)

Ron

Most cold air humidifiers have a resovoir pan which the water fills into. Then they have a filter which sits partially in the water, and draws water up into it like a sponge. Then they have a fan above the filter which pulls air through a vent, through the wet filter, and out into the room. Rather than buy one, you can build a system like this easily with a little creativity.

Hot air humidifiers use heating elements. they use lots of electricity and create bacteria and that a long time to heat up and humidify the air.

Ultrasonics are the best route. You can get a large plastic bucket, fill it with water, and put a pond fogger in the bucket. Voila, humidity. Just remember to fill the bucket up every few days.

If you want to control the level of humidity, get an electronic inline humidistat, Plug you pond fogger into one side of the humidistat, and an extension cord into the other side of the humidistat, and plug it into your wall. Program the humidistat to turn off the power at the desired humidity level. Presto. It'll turn on and off automatically.

You can find all that stuff at many hardware stores.

It is an old thread, but good to lnow, anyway :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back