Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hmm, electric guitar.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Do you think this would be a good deal for someone just starting?

**broken link removed**

Sure, 10watts isn't much, but it may get me started. I have been thinking lately that i want to learn the electric guitar. Anybody here know it already? I think it would be neat. Yeah, i now it is A LOT of work, too.......

Computer speakers say 220W but use a little 1W power amp IC.
This geetar amp says 10W so does it use a little 45mW headphones driver IC?
Then overdrive the thing so that it and your neighbours think it is making 10W.

Marks256 said:
Do you think this would be a good deal for someone just starting?

**broken link removed**

Sure, 10watts isn't much, but it may get me started. I have been thinking lately that i want to learn the electric guitar. Anybody here know it already? I think it would be neat. Yeah, i now it is A LOT of work, too.......

These sort of things are ideal for beginning, it gives you everything you need - the little 10W amps (which are usually genuine 10W RMS), make plenty of noise (too much noise many would say!).

Way too small to gig, but ideal for practicing at home - we've got three at home! - a 10W Kustom bass amp (that came with Melissa's first bass), which is a great little amp. Then we've got a guitar one I was given, and a new 10W one that came with a guitar Melissa had last Christmas.

If your guitar aspirations are intending to play in a band?, I would suggest you choose bass rather than guitar - guitar players are 'ten a penny', you can find then anywhere - bass players are far rarer creatures, a good bass player will never be short of a gig to play!.

If you look at the bands on TV, most don't have a 'real' bass player, they have a guitarist playing bass - a VERY different thing altogether!.

There are countless Stratocaster clones (new & used) available at music stores and eBay. Names like Ibanez, Epiphone and such are good Fender & Gibson copies. Fender sells their intro line of Squire guitars in packages that also include a small amp and extras. Sells typically for under $300 and you're getting a real Fender product that someday will hold it's value over a clone. I had a pre-CBS Fender Bandmaster piggy-back amp that I sold for a mere $200 many years back. wish I had it today as it's worth a hefty price. My pre-CBS 1963 Fender Strat is worth thousands. Just a plastic knob alone sells for $20-$40.

So yes or no?

I don't plan to make a career out of it. I just think that it would be neat to play. Sure, if a band comes along, then why not? But i DO NOT plan on making this a life time thing.

Nigel, what do you mean too small for a gig? I didn't know that size mattered. Or do you mean that the capabilities of it are not advanced enough?

HiTech, i REALLY like the Stratocasters. They look AWESOME! But, i can not afford one, so i was thinking a clone may be a good idea.

I was also toying with the idea of learning Bass Guitar instead, but, i don't know. Electric Guitar seems cooler. Especially when they have the tremolo/whammy/vibrato bar, and the foot effect thingy. THEN THEY ARE SWEET!

Is it weird that as an electrical engineering student I think electric guitars are among the worst instruments out there? I have a violin and then got a classical guitar...but because of limited time the violin has been getting all the attention...mainly because I am much much MUCh more familiar with it...but of course, it's easier to make a perfect sound with the guitar as long as I have the tabs in front of me.

No, i don't think it is "weird". I do, however, think it is odd.... :) Kidding!

Marks256 said:
Nigel, what do you mean too small for a gig? I didn't know that size mattered. Or do you mean that the capabilities of it are not advanced enough?

It's a practice amp, for practicing in your bedroom - it's FAR too quiet to play at a gig, you need to be looking at least 50W-60W with at least a 1x12 speaker to compete with acoustic drums.

If you're serious about starting guitar? (or bass?) I would really recommend you start by taking lessons - it really is the best way!.

Oh, i see. I thought you were talking about the guitar. Thanks for the advice. But in order to take lessons, then wouldn't i need a guitar? Or would they have practice ones there?

Are you going to rent a guitar from the teacher so you can practice on it at home?

Marks256 said:
Oh, i see. I thought you were talking about the guitar. Thanks for the advice. But in order to take lessons, then wouldn't i need a guitar? Or would they have practice ones there?

They usually have guitars you can use, but I would suggest you buy one for home to practice on as well. You can buy suprisingly good guitar/amp sets for VERY little money - in the UK about £99 is common, and it's all you need to practice on. Cheap acoustic guitars are even cheaper, and they have the same number of strings and frets as electric ones!.

What about the one i linked to?

Get one of those Esteban American Legacy guitar packages from HSN or QVC shopping networks!! Then yoy'll have both an acoustic and electric guitar. If you end up on the streets living out of a cardboard appliance shipping box, you can go acoustic, lay the amp on it's face for passerbys to toss in their spare change. Or if you become really adept at it, you can join a band and plug the guitar into a real amp. like a Marshall or Ampeg, etc.

**broken link removed**

Actually, for as much as that infomercial annoys me, and for as goofy looking and fruity, long fingernailed that Estaban is, the guitar package he sells is a pretty good deal for the money. The guitar itself is not all that bad and it does sound impressive. However, being me, I'd feel cheap and second rate knowing that I could be holding and playing a Martin Dreadnought, Ovation Roundback, or an Alvarez 12-string.

Many acoustic guitars come with an in-built 'pickup', which is just an electret mike - they are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!.

They sound fine if you're recording - but for a live gig they are too susceptible to feedback - totally unusable!. My daughter and her friend Charlie (the guitarist from her band) did an acoustic set at out Ju Jitsu club Christmas party last year - I did the PA. NEVER AGAIN! - we had so much feedback using the internal mikes in the acoustic guitar and acoustic bass, I'm NEVER, EVER, doing a gig with acoustic instruments again!.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure how serious my parents will think i am.... :)

If you get a job you can pay for whatever you want...within reason. If you have brothers and sisters, and you make your parents pay for music and then quit, it makes it a whole lot tougher for simblings who want to take up some music later themselves...unless you (or they) pay for everything themselves. Happened to me.

Yes, that's why I suggested lessons - it's VERY likely they are available 'reasonably' cheaply at your school - and it means you get time out of lessons! :)

Have lessons for a number of weeks, and if you enjoy it, then see about getting a guitar.

Here's how it worked with Melissa - who's an only child.

Started piano lessons about 6 years old, after a number of months we bought her a second hand keyboard to practice on at home.

12 years old, year 7 at secondary school, Charlie was wanting to form a band, so because Melissa played piano he asked her to be the bass player?. At that time besides piano lessons she was also having singing lessons and keyboard lessons, so we swapped her from keyboard lessons to bass lessons. She had about 4 or 5 lessons then it was the summer holidays (six weeks with no lessons), so we bought her a bass and amp. By the time she went back to school she'd already done a gig and a recording session on bass!.

Also in year 7 she started flute lessons at school, where they lent you a flute free for the first year, so after a year we bought her a flute as well.

The music teacher asked her to start guitar lessons as school as well, so she started lessons at school - but we cancelled them when the prices doubled!! - and she went elsewhere for guitar lessons. I borrowed a guitar for her, and later bought her one.

Notice the common thread throughout that story - don't buy the instrument until you're SURE they are going to stick with it!.

BTW, she still has piano and flute lessons, but just teaches herself on bass and guitar.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Many acoustic guitars come with an in-built 'pickup', which is just an electret mike - they are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!.
Certainly not in an Ovation as that's what they're all about!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back