Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrighty

Im currently working on a project that will contain very high voltages (up to 36KV) is there transformers available to handle such high voltages?

Wrighty said:
Im currently working on a project that will contain very high voltages (up to 36KV) is there transformers available to handle such high voltages?

Yes, the electrical supply in the UK is transmitted at 300KV - the obvious problems with high voltage transformers are the insulation requirements, this could be a problem for you.

You don't give any clue as to the application, or the specification, but you might have to have transformers specially made?.

You should also be VERY aware of the dangerous voltages, assuming there's any sort of current capacity it's likely to be almost certainly fatal!.

36 kV is well within the range for modern color
monitor (and television) H.V. circuits, albeit at
low currents. What is your application?
<als>

yes I know that the mains is transmitted at that sort of voltage so there is no power loss due to the heat dissipation in the resistance of current, I am a electronics technician! My application is for generation of a big voltage obviously with minimal current (pA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back