Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with assemble code 8051 - prime or not prime number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greital

hi,
I'm working with a multiple phases project in 8051 micro-controller
and phase one involved with check if a given number is prime or not

the way I've trying to do this code is :
1. assuming 2 numbers one is prime and other is not and save them in R1, and R2
2. create a counter from 99 and save it in R7 --->> 99 because in the following phases we have to check the prime number or not from 1 to 99 (a number that user enter using keypad)
3. making a loop and divide the desire number with 99 first then check if prime or not, then decrements and repeat the loop again until we finish
4. if its prime a led will flash using delay with counter R6=3
5. if its not prime another led will flash using the same delay and same counter

but I'm really stuck with the code, something wrong but I don't now what is ?
any help is appreciable

----->>> I'm using Edsim51D1 to check my code

----------Begining---------
START:
MOV R1,#9
MOV R2,#31
MOV R7,#99
MOV R6,#3
LOOP:
MOV A,R1
MOV B,R7
DIV AB
MOV R3,#0
MOV R3,B
CJNE R3,#0,NOTPRIME
DJNZ R7,LOOP

PRIME:
ACALL DELAY
CPL P1.3
DJNZ R6,PRIME
AJMP DONE

NOTPRIME:
ACALL DELAY
CPL P1.0
DJNZ R6,NOTPRIME
DONE:

DELAY:
MOV R5,#20
X3: MOV R4,#200
X2: MOV R3,#250
X1: DJNZ R3,X1
DJNZ R4,X2
DJNZ R5,X3
RET

END
-------------End------------

Sorry, I am not familiar with that chip. I use PIC's exclusively. Your approach sounds like it will work for numbers ≤9801 (maybe higher), but dividing the long way can be slow. There are only 1229 primes below 10,000. What s the largest number you need to test? Have you considered a table lookup as a quicker alternative?

John

Edit: Also, it might be more efficient to count up with the divisor, rather than down.

Last edited:
Be weird and use the Eratosthenes seive. The only penalty is memory. generate all the primes up to 100.
It's like a 3 line program in some BASICS.
1. Assume an array of numbers(100)
2. You start at index 2 and put a true in every index but the first. Then 3, then 4 etc.
3. To make it faster, you check whether or not the index is true already. So every 4th would have been covered by 2, so you don't do every 4.
Illustrating
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
f f f f f f f f f f f f f f initial value
f t f f f f f f f f f f f f Make 1 a prime number
f t t f t f t f t f t f t f t do the 2 and every other one

Then leave 3, then 6, then 9
4 would have been done with 2
Leave 5 and do 10
6 would have been done by 2, so skip
Leave 7; the next would be 14 which is bigger than 10, our limit)
8 was done by 2
9 was done by 3
10 was done by 2 and 5

So primes are 1,2,3,5,7,

The algorithm is super-fast.

So, tell teach the code is much faster.

I just thought about to divide the desire number by 2 then check if its prime or not , then increment the divisor and check again

the largest number I have to test is 99

You only have to check up to the sqrt of the number. So, you basically have to check 2 through 10, I think.

You don't have a sqrt function, so use the max of sqrt(100) (Round numbers).

Last edited:
If you only have to check to 99, a table would be the fastest and easiest way to go, at least for me. I wouldn't even waste time on an odd or even test. Just have a list o's and 1's for each number: 0= not prime; 1 = prime. Tests for zero are very quick. If not zero, then it is a prime. A table will handle 1 and 0 (not prime) easily.

John

But, it's probably an exercise. e.g. Divisible by itself and one. If the assignment is written differently, then anything goes.

I don't think it is an assignment for homework. If it is, then we need to know what criteria are being used for grading. The table will be far faster than dividing by every integer up to 99 for the 25 (or so) primes that need to be considered.

John

Edit: If you take the successive divide route, the largest divisor you need to test is 47 for numbers less than 100. Also, you do not need to test all of the divisors less than or equal to 47, only the the 15 primes (2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47).

Last edited:
Greital Your code is almost there..

Using a progressive loop the whole 25 prime No.'s are found in 26mS on a basic 8051..

The code I used is here:-
Code:
  $MOD51
   ORG  0
     JMP  START

START:
   MOV R0,#16     ; Start of table
   MOV R1,#3     ; Start at number 3

MOV @R0,#2     ; store the first prime number
   INC R0       ; next

LOOP:   MOV R6,#2     ; count from two
LP:   MOV A,R1
   MOV B,R6
   DIV AB       ; modulus number / count
   MOV A,B
   JZ BLP1       ; zero either divides by count or itself
   DEC R1       ;\
   MOV A,R6     ; | Test number  = count
   SUBB A,R1     ; |
   INC R1       ;/
   INC R6
   JNZ LP       ; Loop done

BLP1:   MOV A,R6     ; Test if a prime
   SUBB A,R1     ; by seeing if count run full course
   JNZ NPRIME

PRIME:   MOV A,R1     ; Primes are lobbed into table
   MOV @R0,A
   INC R0

NPRIME: MOV A, R1
   SUBB A,#99     ; All 99 numbers done??
   INC R1
   JNZ LOOP

DONE:   JMP DONE

thanks to all of you for your help,
I've done by dividing my number by a prime numbers (2, 3, 5, 7) and check after each division if its prime or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back