Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

has any one invented a broken chip leg fixer?

777xxx

i.e. a way of using a chip even when all the legs have been broken off. i.e. something you can slot the chip into which has its own legs, almost like a socket for a smd chip but with more of a bite to hold the chip in. even serrated edges for better contact. i cant find one on google anywhere btw.

there would be so many chips that could be reused in this way or brought back from the dead

An IC test clip, upside down?

This type of style; there are many different makers of similar ones:

They are normally used on top of an installed IC, to allow probes to be easily attached.

For your application, turn it upside down so the jaws are upwards with the IC also facing upwards, so the test pins are towards the PC. Use short link wires to adapt those back to the PCB holes or socket.

If the pins are corroded, it will likely only be a temporary fix, as the corrosion may continue. If the IC is a ROM / EPROM / EEPROM etc. memory, just use the test clip to read it then program a replacement!

ive seen some that have completely corroded off

An IC test clip, upside down?

This type of style; there are many different makers of similar ones:

They are normally used on top of an installed IC, to allow probes to be easily attached.

For your application, turn it upside down so the jaws are upwards with the IC also facing upwards, so the test pins are towards the PC. Use short link wires to adapt those back to the PCB holes or socket.

If the pins are corroded, it will likely only be a temporary fix, as the corrosion may continue. If the IC is a ROM / EPROM / EEPROM etc. memory, just use the test clip to read it then program a replacement!
no not that exactly.

and im talking about chips that are hard to replace. i.e. ones that are discontinued or manufactured by a company like sega or atari, etc, that are no longer available

The test clip is likely as near as you will ever get to what you are looking for..

If it's only the thinner section of the pins that is damaged & the "shoulder" is still OK, just solder short pieces of wire through the PCB and to the shoulder above the hole. I've used that to repair damaged ICs / undo "mods" on boards.

there would be so many chips that could be reused in this way
I doubt it. The most likely reason for a chip having 'broken legs' would be removal of the chip from a PCB. And the reason for its removal would be mainly because the chip was faulty. Removal for re-purposing would be less common.

they do when they are old and have corroded
Then you may have an issue with cold/coastal condition. In that case, you need to have heat elements within the cabinet where you have your installation.

1692130900271.png

ak

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back