Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

handling clock pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezemenot

i have managed to generate a clock pulse in one of the pins of the microcontroller.(i have only one pin left free for myy use!!!)
now i need to give this clock pulse to 2 of my stepper motors.(the clock pulse is given to the stpper motor controller)
is it fine if i give the same clock from this one pin to both of them....

An output may be shared between any number of inputs up until the net effect degrades the output signal. Even a single 1:1 ratio of output to input can degrade the output. Its the net effect not the number of nodes that matter. As long and the following is within spec:

- Frequency
- Ripple
- Drive current
- Current direction
- Impedance

Now as for 1 clock to only 2 to 3 inputs, the answer is yes. This is done religiously and is called busing. If you have a scope, just monitor the signal of a single load, then add input loads making sure the signal is still strong. The weaker the driving output and the heavier the input load, the more likely the need for an intermediate buffer or increased buffer power. But since a buffer is just an output itself, it is still susceptible to the same degradation of signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back