Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Google: We're sorry... but your query looks similar to automated requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I like google but I am seeing this a lot.
We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Then it asks me to type in hard to read text. I understand the need to keep google from being overrun with automated requests but I am tired of this nonsense.

If this has just started then I can hear the people that suggested it at google, "The number of searches has gone down by 40% which proves that 40% of searches were automated" LOL.

Mike.

I am not sure what strings would cause it. Common string like "Recipe Pancake" did about 4 hours ago. At times I spell recipe wrong so it may be a variation on that. It seem every time I tried to use google I had to pass the sentry, then it was OK till I opend a new tab (Opera) or maybe waited a few minutes.

I have a static IP address.

It is not an horrid thing, you type in the code and continue, but it bugs me.

I have not experienced the problem but it looks like google are blocking your searches whenever they detect an excessive amount of search requests traffic from your IP address.

If you picked-up a new DHCP address then perhaps it was the previous "owner" of that address that had spyware using their pc for automated searches.
There is a google groups discussion here:
https://groups.google.com/group/google.public.support.general/browse_frm/thread/887abcd25b77cf3b/01f9bc08c01747ff#01f9bc08c01747ff

I've never seen that either, but if I did I'd first scan the hell out of my machine to make sure I didn't have a zombie on my hands. I'm pretty careful but it has happened before (only on Windows though--man was that a drag to clean up).

I wonder if someone woke up a botnet in the past couple of days? One of my servers has been getting hammered by a kiddie bot fishing for exploits. I just spent my morning scanning logs and banning IPs. If a botnet woke up maybe it has been active in your IP range.

Torben

Thanks but I have a static IP address.

EDIT: What trojan detection tools are good these days.

picasm said:
I have not experienced the problem but it looks like google are blocking your searches whenever they detect an excessive amount of search requests traffic from your IP address.

If you picked-up a new DHCP address then perhaps it was the previous "owner" of that address that had spyware using their pc for automated searches.
There is a google groups discussion here:
https://groups.google.com/group/google.public.support.general/browse_frm/thread/887abcd25b77cf3b/01f9bc08c01747ff#01f9bc08c01747ff

Last edited:
3v0 said:
Thanks but I have a static IP address.

EDIT: What trojan detection tools are good these days.

I suppose the best thing would be to do a full virus scan, if you need a good freeware anti-virus program then get avg antivirus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

Also get a free spyware/malware scanner such as "Ad-aware personal edition" and "Spybot search and destroy" (use both to be more sure)

A software firewall such as "Zonealarm" (free version) would also be useful for controlling which software is allowed outgoing internet access.

I have not seen that problem with google, but occasionally my e-mails get blocked as being spam. The reason, my ISP server has been blacklisted. It only lasts 24 hours, is aggravating as all get out, but there is apparently nothing that can be done from the user end. John

I will have to go with AVG as well.

Of course, if you use linux, you don't really have to worry about viruses....

I have been using AVG and Spybot S&D.

Tonight I tried a program call XOFTspy Portable that came with a U2 USB drive. It found wincap which records keystrokes and a email spy program. To get it to fix the problems I have to buy the program. It is only $15 so I may but it.

Given that I am about the only one seeing the problem I will shut the machine down till I find out what is happening. Maybe the google people can tell me.

EDIT: I know the answer would be to use ZoneAlarm. But I do not care for it. Last resort.

If you found that on the pc I would probably reformat. There is a good chance something else is on there. Or that XOFTspy program is yanking your chain. I have never heard of it before. Generally, if it is not on majorgeeks.com, I don't touch it. Those guys check out programs pretty well.

Right now I am using Avast, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware. I also run "noscript" ad-on for firefox.

3v0 said:
I have been using AVG and Spybot S&D.

Tonight I tried a program call XOFTspy Portable that came with a U2 USB drive. It found wincap which records keystrokes and a email spy program. To get it to fix the problems I have to buy the program. It is only $15 so I may but it.

Given that I am about the only one seeing the problem I will shut the machine down till I find out what is happening. Maybe the google people can tell me.

EDIT: I know the answer would be to use ZoneAlarm. But I do not care for it. Last resort.

Can you install Wireshark and look at what your machine is sending out?

https://www.wireshark.org

Torben

Marks256 said:
I will have to go with AVG as well.

Of course, if you use linux, you don't really have to worry about viruses....

Yeah, just rootkits. A good rootkit is a serious PITA to get rid of.

Torben

Ambient said:
If you found that on the pc I would probably reformat. There is a good chance something else is on there. Or that XOFTspy program is yanking your chain. I have never heard of it before. Generally, if it is not on majorgeeks.com, I don't touch it. Those guys check out programs pretty well.

Right now I am using Avast, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware. I also run "noscript" ad-on for firefox.

It may be a ploy to sell product. I forgot about that sort of thing. Thanks for saving me $15.

I ran Wireshark for a few hours, gave myself a good headslap, and installed Zone Alarm.

The machine I am running is fast compared to the 750 MHz box it replaced. The old machine worked quite well as long as you did not load anything that ran in the background. This one uses a AMD 2X processor so programs like Zone Alarm have a much lower impact on perceived performance.

I have not seen the google challange or any unwanted net activity, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back